Thursday, April 26, 2012

Cover Love #1


If any of you have been paying attention, I usually post reviews Saturday or Sunday, another post Monday or Tuesday that's supposed to be for Wednesday but that I'm too impatient to wait for, a new Wishlist Wednesday meme on (obviously) Wednesday, and (when I'm feeling particularly inspired) a bonus post on Fridays.

However, I can't always rely on my inspiration to buoy the end of the week, and poor Thursday is often so neglected by blogs, so I have decided that it's high time I add a regular, bi-weekly Thursday post to my rotation. And if there's one thing that will supply me with endless points of discussion, it's pretty book covers.

I loooooove book covers! They're so pretty and new and enticing. There have been books that have sold me on their promised based on the cover alone. So while I may not be an art student or a graphic designer, I promise you that I will have plenty to say.

For this, my inaugural Thursday Cover Love post, I have chosen...


The cover of Halo by Alexandra Adornetto!


Now, I know this book has gotten mixed reviews in some circles. I personally have never read it, nor do I know anything about the book other than what I can decipher from the cover.

But just look at it! Go ahead, drink it in. That cover is gorgeous, people!

A (presumably) human male leans against a tree, head bent slightly to lock gazes with a female angel in a dress with long, flowing locks. I picture them both as brunettes (hard to tell because of the silhouetting), but maybe that's just me. Her hands are on his chest, a display of intimacy. Even more intimate is the way she tips her head back. His lips are parted, either in speech or in anticipation of a kiss. Perhaps both. They are having A Moment (capitalized all the way).

The sun, either setting or rising, brightens the space between their faces, casting a ring across the picture reminiscent of an angel's halo. The blaze of light accentuates the tenuous space between them, heightening the tension, the anticipation. Above and around the couple, the golden light filters through the leaves of the tree that frames the scene and delicately illuminates the fragile structure of the angel's wings.

At their waists is the title, Halo, as well as the author's name in vintage script, protected by a curlicue border that seems as thin as fine gold.

It's GORGEOUS. The color, the framing, the font, those FEATHERS! Ugh, I can barely stand to look at it, it's all so wonderful.

Now it's your turn. What do you think of this cover? What do you like or dislike? And what covers would you like me to drool over in future installments?