Thursday, May 10, 2012

Cover Love #2


I tell you, memes make me feel more like a newbie blogger than anything else. Not that memes are for newbie bloggers - quite the opposite, in fact. There's so much I don't understand yet, including how to make a proper blog meme button. O Photoshop, my arch-nemesis, I shall vanquish you yet.

Anyways, I say all that to say that once I do have a pretty little meme button, I'd like to share my meme with others. After all, a gorgeous cover is one of the easiest ways to draw someone into a great new book.   But until then, onward I charge with this week's pick...

This Is Not A Test by Courtney Summers.
It’s the end of the world. Six students have taken cover in Cortege High but shelter is little comfort when the dead outside won’t stop pounding on the doors. One bite is all it takes to kill a person and bring them back as a monstrous version of their former self. To Sloane Price, that doesn’t sound so bad. Six months ago, her world collapsed and since then, she’s failed to find a reason to keep going. Now seems like the perfect time to give up. As Sloane eagerly waits for the barricades to fall, she’s forced to witness the apocalypse through the eyes of five people who actually want to live. But as the days crawl by, the motivations for survival change in startling ways and soon the group’s fate is determined less and less by what’s happening outside and more and more by the unpredictable and violent bids for life—and death—inside. When everything is gone, what do you hold on to?
Snap! How freaking awesome does this book sound? It's like zombie apocalypse + Lord of the Flies + the worst case of cabin fever EVER. If it weren't gauche to feature a book in both Wishlist Wednesday AND Cover Love, I totally would. This Is Not A Test doesn't come out until June and I'm already itching to get my hands on it.

But the cover! Yes, that's what we're here for, the cover. How cool is that cover? It's not the gilded opulence of Halo (my choice for CL#1), but that's okay.

The muted colors give the cover a somber feel. Even if I weren't sure it was apocalyptic, I wouldn't pick up this book in hopes of a fun-hearted romp. The model's pose only adds to the creepy vibe. She isn't posing seductively, hair flowing in the wind. Instead, her hair is making her face, suffocating her, robbing her of her identity. She looks freaking spooky. Add her pale skin, the gaunt jut of her collarbone, and the way her head tips to the side as if her neck has been snapped... Deliciously horrific without being graphic.

Then, of course, the font. I don't know what font that is or what the static around the letters is supposed to be, but to me it looks like cracked, diseased skin. You know that ashy, cracked look infected skin gets in movies, the kind that makes you want to itch and itch and itch? This is apocalyptic epidemic at its most disgusting. [And as I type this, my brother turns on I Am Legend. Cue spooky music now.]

Last, but certainly not least, look at the top left corner by the author's name. Blood spatter! If you had ANY doubt as to the feel of this book, if somehow the colors, model, and font did not convince you... well, consider yourself convinced.

If this book lives up to even a fraction of the cover's promise, it'll be amazing. I cannot wait.

What do you think of this cover? What cover bowls YOU over?