Thursday, May 24, 2012

Cover Love #3



This week I've chosen a foreign cover of a well-known book. In fact, it's a book I've reviewed on this very blog. Okay, I lied. It's actually a group of foreign covers. I went looking for one and found the others.

And they're so... so preeeeeetty...

I reviewed Shatter Me in early February and complained even then about the cover. It fell into the fad of covers with pretty girls in pretty dresses without reason. Nowhere in the book did Juliette wear a dress like that. She wore dresses, but not that dress. And the model just didn't look like the Juliette in my head.

But hot-diggity-dog did the foreign covers ramp it up a notch. Most of them still use a pretty girl in a pretty dress, but the images are far more powerful than our American version. Sigh.

Oh! So, for comparison, here is the American cover below, as well as the description of the book. I also suggest that you go back and read my review just for kicks. :)
"You can't touch me," I whisper.
I'm lying, is what I don't tell him.
He can touch me, is what I'll never tell him.
But things happen when people touch me.
Strange things.
Bad things.
No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon.
But Juliette has plans of her own.
After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time—and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever.
I kept it small because it doesn't warrant as much room as the ones I'm about to show you. All of the foreign covers are at the Shatter Me Fans website. I just lifted a few of my favorites.

The French cover, which is titled "Do Not Touch Me."
The German cover, which is "I Am Not Afraid."
The Polish cover, which is "Juli's Touch."
And my personal favorite, the Swedish cover, which is "Do Not Touch Me."
They're all so freaking evocative! I love the different typographies, especially how the Swedish cover utilizes Juliette's distinctive marks. Also, the titles are great. They're very straightforward but intriguing. The German one is a little more vague than the others, but both the French and the Swedish command of "Do not touch me"? Awesome!

Though I do wonder about the character's frequent hair color changes... Maybe the Germans and the Poles have a thing for gingers?

Really, seeing all these covers makes me want to start a petition or something. How wonderful would it be, in this world of increased personalization, if we could choose which cover we wanted? I mean, they're making them anyways, right? How spectacular if we could order, say, a collector's addition where the book was in English and titled in English, but the cover was the Swedish picture with the same typography?

Ugh, I would die happy. I can't even read Swedish, but I'm tempted to hunt down a copy just so I can have that picture.

To sign up for Cover Love:


1. Follow Bookshelvers Anonymous as the host of the meme (my work, so I get credit. No stealing).
2. Find a cover that just makes you go wild with designer delight.
3. Highlight said cover in a Thursday post. Here and here are my two previous Cover Love posts for reference.
4. Link back to Bookshelvers Anonymous somewhere in your post (when I do other blogs' memes, I put the meme button at the top of the page and then link in the button's caption).
5. Consider adding the meme button somewhere on your blog so others can join also. This step isn't required, but it'd be awfully nice. The HTML for the button is in my right sidebar, and I can help you through the adding process if you'd like.
6. Add your blog to the linky list at the bottom of this post - it makes it easier for all of us to find each other AND it's a great way to generate traffic for your blog.