Thursday, May 31, 2012

My Favorite Reads Blog Hop



There's something about a favorite book. It may not be the fanciest nor the most well-written (though you'd swear it is). It may not boast a gorgeous cover or a big-name author. Others may not "get" your favorite book, but it doesn't matter.

Just the mention of its title or one of its main characters and you're transformed into a lovestruck fool. You're like a new gramma with baby pictures - any unfortunate soul who blunders into your path is a potential audience, a potential convert, if you will.

This is the book that you have in multiple forms (autographed and plain, paperback, hardcover, e-copy, collector's edition). This is the book you turn to when you need something comfortable, like the old stuffed animal that you pull out from your closet when you're sick.

I Am A Reader, Not A Writer and Rachelle Writes understand, which is why they are co-hosting a giveaway hop to celebrate our favorite reads. I'm #85 on the linky list (it's after the jump break), and I've chosen to host a giveaway where the winner will win one of my ten favorite books. The books I've picked represent long-lasting favorites, most of which have followed me from childhood to college and beyond; therefore, no recent favorites, such as the delectable Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers or Scarlet by A.C. Gaghen, are listed (though it wouldn't hurt to check them out on your own time).


So what books are up for grabs? I'm glad you asked! In no particular order...

<----The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (or its sequel, Queen of Attolia, if you already own The Thief). You can read my review here, but this is the first book in my favorite series of all time. I literally read this book every 3-4 months. It's awesome, and the sequels are even better.

Rilla of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery. This is the eighth and final book in the Anne of Green Gables series. While reading the rest of the series does help in connecting with the characters, L.M. writes such vivid, lovable portraits that you needn't be afraid to dive right in. Rilla is Anne's daughter through and through. She's stubborn and impetuous, but also brave and selfless. There is heartbreak in this book but also triumph, and it's all bound together by L.M.'s fantastic poetic descriptions. --->

<--- Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I don't think there's much I can say about this book that hasn't already been said. Hunger Games is a masterpiece of dystopian literature, fraught with adventure, death, and just a smidgen of romance. It. Is. The. Bomb.

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. I read this book as an eleven year old to prove to my dad that I was old enough to watch the movie. I fell in love with Tolkien's wordsmanship, his characters, and his delightful creation of Middle-Earth. I wouldn't be half the nerd I am today without this book. --->

<--- An Assembly Such As This by Pamela Aidan. This book is the first in a trilogy that tells the story of Pride & Prejudice from MR. DARCY'S point of view. I've read many books with the same conceit, but none have pulled it off so masterfully as Ms. Aidan. This is my go-to romance series.

Graceling by Kristin Cashore. Another FANTASTIC fantasy book that is also a dang good romance. The heroine, Katsa, is kick-butt but perfectly matched by Po, her potential love interest. Cashore weaves fantastical Graces, harrowing suspense, tender romance, and breathtaking betrayal together in her tale. Warning: Some language and sexual content. --->

<--- And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. Dying for a good mystery? Then I've got you covered. In my opinion, this is Agatha Christie's best work. Ten strangers are trapped on an island and mysteriously killed in gruesome ways. Fantastic! The suspense is killer, and I dare you to guess the murderer before the big reveal.

Terrier by Tamora Pierce. This is a book about a fiercely determined young woman on the hunt to track down a kidnapper and murderer with the help of her fellow Dogs and her unusual talents. What talents? Oh, she can talk to dead people in pigeons and pick up scraps of conversations stuck in dust devils. This is the first in the Provost's Dog series. --->

 <--- Inferno by Dante Alighieri. To prove what a weirdo I am, this has to be one of my all-time favorite classics. It's just morbid and awful and creepy and wrong... and freaking amazing. Dante, turned off the path of righteous, has to be guided to his love Berenice in Paradise by the philosopher Virgil. But first, he must descend into the bowels of Hell itself. (Oh, and this version offers side-by-side Italian and English translations. FYI.)

Beauty by Robin McKinley. Belle was always my favorite fairy tale princess, and McKinley's classic retelling is the best version I have ever read. Eschewing the Disney tale, she instead draws from elements of the original fable, while putting an enchanting twist on things that's all her own. Swoontastic. --->

~~*~~
So there you have it, ten of my long-time favorites, and one of them can be yours to own. All you have to do is fill out the Rafflecopter and follow the rules:





  • You MUST live in one of the countries Book Depository delivers to.
  • You MUST be honest when entering. I will check to be sure you do what you say you're doing, and I will disqualify cheaters.
  • And you MUST respond to my email within 48 hours of winning (so make sure that email address is correct!).


  • [Note: Most of the books, with two exceptions, are the exact same version that I own, which means most are paperback.]

    Click HERE to keep hopping!


    a Rafflecopter giveaway