Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Wishlist Wednesday #2

Totally the property of Pen To Paper
Despite plowing through my to-read stack as diligently as I can, my to-read list has added two more books, giving me a grand total of 107. Glad to know I'll have material for this meme from here to eternity!

I was so pleased to be able to chat with some of you last WW about Bitterblue. That book is a well-known story on many, many wishlists, unlike my choice for this week...

Emily is sick and tired of being a middle sister. So when she gets an assignment to describe what she'd change about a classic novel, Emily pounces on Little Women. After all, if she can't change things in her own family, maybe she can bring a little justice to the March sisters. (Kill off Beth? Have cute Laurie wind up with Amy instead of Jo? What was Louisa May Alcott thinking?!) But when Emily gets mysteriously transported into the 1860s world of the book, she discovers that righting fictional wrongs won't be easy. And after being immersed in a time and place so different from her own, it may be Emily-not the four March sisters-who undergoes the most surprising change of all. Lauren Baratz-Logsted's winning confection will appeal to fans of Little Women as well as anyone who enjoys a modern twist on an old favorite.
I don't remember where I first heard about this book, but I do remember being intrigued. I'm always cautiously intrigued by books that border on fanfiction by inserting a modern character into a beloved classic. It can either be really fun, or really, really boring - a bit like listening to someone else's dream.

And I have a bit of history with Little Women. It was the first "big girl" book I remembering. Sounding out the word "breakfast" all by yourself at the age of five is a BIG DEAL. Little Women was also the movie I forced my babysitter to watch every single time I went to her house. Little Women was no Lion King, but it was still a part of my childhood.

I like that this book doesn't sound like it will simply be a rehash of the book with a modern character mucking things up. The point is Emily's change with the March family used as supporting characters. I also like that Emily is infuriated by the same things that ticked me off as a kid. I mean, Amy? Really?! I'm secretly hoping that Mama March is persuaded into punishing Amy WAY more severely for burning Jo's manuscript as well. Non-violent though I am, I always believed I would beat my sister black and blue if she ever destroyed my work like that.

But that's probably just me. And Emily.

Man, I really want to read this book. (Comeuppance for Amy for all!)

What book are YOU looking forward to?