Thursday, June 21, 2012

Cover Love #5


Time for Cover Love! I know some people aren't very fond of memes. I understand completely. At the same time, I genuinely look forward to writing my Cover Love posts. I get to look at pretty things and squeal over them with you all.

This week's choice will be just a tad different. Usually, I choose a book that is jaw-droppingly beautiful. Usually, it's also attached to a book that is on my to-read list, either because of the cover or just because of the book's sheer awesomeness. This week's choice is not jaw-droppingly beautiful, but it did make me drop my jaw. It's also not on my to-read list (at least, not yet), but I know that it's on others'.

When a visit to the Tower of London triggers an overwhelmingly real vision of a beheading that occurred centuries before, Cole Ryan fears she is losing her mind. A mysterious boy, Griffon Hall, comes to her aid, but the intensity of their immediate connection seems to open the floodgate of memories even wider.


As their feelings grow, Griffon reveals their common bond as members of the Akhet—an elite group of people who can remember past lives and use their collected wisdom for the good of the world. But not all Akhet are altruistic, and a rogue is after Cole to avenge their shared past. Now in extreme danger, Cole must piece together clues from many lifetimes. What she finds could ruin her chance at a future with Griffon, but risking his love may be the only way to save them both.
Full of danger, romance, and intrigue, Transcendence breathes new life into a perpetually fascinating question: What would you do with another life to live?




Okay, in case you guys don't know, there's been a debate going on for what feels like forever about race and diversity (or lack thereof) in YA fiction and on covers. There are a bajillion and one links I can put here, but a simple Google search (or even a stroll through YA Highway) can tell you all you want to know.

The one link that did stick with me was Kate Hart's infographic for 2011 covers. Scroll down and look at the info for minority depictions. Pitiful!

Now look at the cover above.

Holy. Stinking. Cow.

All the race talks tend to make me uneasy just because sometimes people are less than civil, so I can't honestly say that I'm some sort of champion for cover equality or anything. But I do read about it, and this cover made me go "YES!!" There's a minority character - a MALE minority character! - featured front and center. No chopped off heads, no hidden faces, no being blocked by a white character.

Sure, you kind of get the feeling that the girl is the main character (because, let's face it, girls are almost always the protagonist in YA), but the boy is the one hogging all the attention.

And, no matter his color, this boy is fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-ine! (I had to go back and take out some i's, because it seemed excessive - earned, but excessive.)

So we've got a hot boy, then add the girl with the creepy, magnetic stare. Behind them is a gloomy cityscape that I somehow pegged as London even before reading the cover, and I'm all over anything with London. I'd move there in a second if I could. THEN top it all off with muted colors, spooky, crackly edges, and a pretty font, and voila! Insta-Cover Love!

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole past lives thing, which is the only reason I hesitate to add it to my to-read list. But the summary starts off with a beheading, and I do love a good decapitation, so we'll see. In any case, I'm perfectly content to sit and stare at this cover.

Your turn! What do you think of this cover? Do you love it as much as I do? Is there another pretty cover you think I should see? Tell me below!