Friday, June 15, 2012

Guest Post by E.K. Henry: Why I Went Indie

Hi, friends. Today we're going to have a guest poster. Her name is E.K. Henry, and she's the author of an indie publication, a vampire story titled Freak. I've never read this book, nor, I admit, do I ever plan to. I'm not a fan of vampire books. However, as a bookshelver, I know that my tastes aren't everyone's, and I figured some of you would enjoy hearing what she has to say. Also, it's incredibly hard for an indie author to get attention sometimes, and I've got all this space just waiting to be shared. So let's make her feel welcome, shall we?

E.K. Henry

I want to thank Bookshelvers Anonymous for having me on the blog today.  I am very honored at the chance to be here.

My name is E.K. Henry.  I’m the author of Freak.  I have always had a passion for books ever since I can remember.  I have grown up spending countless nights being swept away by my favorite books into the wee hours of the night.

Today, I want to talk about something that is near and dear to my heart. I want to discuss why I decided to become an Indie author.

When I first started writing just a little over 2 years ago, one of the first questions I asked myself was whether I wanted to go Indie or try to traditionally publish.  I spent countless hours researching both paths.  I spoke with numerous authors to see their opinions with each one.  Many authors on each side were very pro their side.  I never came to a conclusion on what I wanted to do for a very long time.  I felt like I was stuck trying to figure out which path I should go on.


As I spent several years writing, researching, and developing relationships with fellow authors, I learned that to go the Indie or traditional route wasn’t as black and white as I originally thought.  Going one route didn’t doom me to stay in that path forever if decided I wanted to change.

I met authors who were:
  • ghostwriters
  • people who auditioned for the chance to write a novel for publishers who already had a general idea of how they wanted the book to be written
  • published books as an Indie author and then went the traditional route
  • published books the traditional way and then went Indie
  • technically Indie, but have an agent backing them
  • publishing both traditionally and Indie using different pen names
and the list goes on….

When I finished Freak I decided I wanted to try to find an agent, but that I would also prepare to self publish.  I knew that finding an agent in the first place is hard, but finding one that would rep me knowing I want to write about vampires was going to be extremely hard.

I probably have some of you scratching your heads at this point.

“Vampires are hot right now, just go look at how many are on the shelves,” you might be saying.

And that is actually the problem.  There are so many vampire books on the young adult shelves that publishers aren’t buying many more.  That isn’t to say that they aren’t buying any, but even though there is a huge audience, the market is very saturated.

After having several agents tell me that they loved Freak, but they just couldn’t sell it, I knew that my plan to go Indie was the correct one.  I chose my path and headed down it.  Having so many wonderful emails, reviews, purchases, and having people mark it To-Be-Read on their Goodreads shelves reaffirmed that I made the right choice for Freak.

The world of publishing has changed dramatically and authors have many options available that haven’t always been there.

What does that mean for readers?  It means that many great books that might not have been published for one reason or another are available for you to enjoy.

I don’t know which path I will take with my next project, but I’m glad to know that I have the power to choose.

Thank you for taking the time to listen to my story.  As a thank you I’d love to do a giveaway of two e-book copies of my YA paranormal novel, Freak and 5 autographed bookmarks.  All you have to do is be a follower of this website and leave your contact info. [Shelver note: This giveaway will end 06-23 at 12 AM.]

I’d love if you would tweet about this contest and mark Freak to be read on Goodreads.






Happy Reading,
E.K. Henry

Email: ek_henry (at) yahoo (dot) com
Website: www.ekhenry.com
Twitter: @ek_henry
You can purchase your own copy of Freak here Amazon or here B&N.