Friday, June 29, 2012

V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N!



That's right, folks! Dear ol' Shelver is going on vacaaaaaaation!

For one glorious week, I'm leaving behind work, schedules, alarm clocks, and (hopefully) nasty weather to chill by a hotel pool and sleep in as late as I want. Glory of glories!

And at the very end of that week, what will I do to cap it all off?
I'm gonna go ride some of the biggest, baddest roller coasters this country has to offer at Cedar Point Amusement Park in Ohio. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah, buddy!

Cedar Point, Shelver's playground
But don't worry, this little excursion won't affect the blog too much. Well, maybe a little. I'll have what I can of my blog posts set up in advance, so you all won't have to worry about Bookshelvers Anonymous suddenly falling silent for a week. And I'll still be around in the comments section and on Twitter, just not as much as normal. A girl's gotta get in her sunbathing time, after all.

But here's the good news for you (and for me!). When I'm not working, I read a crazy amount. Like, book-binge-every-day level. I'll also be away from my store, which will free me of the compulsion to pick the NEWEST and SHINIEST book every week. Don't get me wrong, I love new and shiny books (hi, Shadow and Bones, you pretty little thing), but there are so many great relatively older books out there that I haven't read yet.

Well, this week I plan to put a moderate dent into my to-read list. Here are the books I'm planning to bring with me:

Click for larger image.
Click for larger image.
1. Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson (though I hope to have this finished before I leave, so it may not come with me after all) - A retelling of Peter Pan as told by Tinker Bell that focuses on Tiger Lily.

2. Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen - My first Sarah Dessen, following the suggestion of Indigo Teen Blog and Melanie Fishbane.

3. Girl, Stolen by April Henry - Contemporary book about an accidentally kidnapped blind girl that I will hopefully like much better than Lucy Christopher's Stolen.

4. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - Is it dystopian? Is it sci-fi? I'm not really sure. But I DO know that people won't shut up about it, so here we go!

5. The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson - A fantasy about a princess in a secret marriage. This book was recommended to me by a member of Sounis (I forget whom), so I know it'll be good.

*6. The Lion Hunter by Elizabeth Wein (whom I love) - Loved Code Name Verity, and my library listed this as the first book... but Goodreads lists it as the FOURTH in the series. Hmmm... I just asked Ms. Wein on Twitter what to do. My library is stupid, apparently, so Lion Hunter will NOT be joining me. It shall wait patiently on my shelf until I find the other book.

7. Steel by Carrie Vaughn - Time-travel book! We have a time-travel book! Girl picks up an old rapier and gets transported in time to the deck of a freaking PIRATE SHIP! Yay!

8. I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga - A contemporary thriller/mystery about a serial killer's son who's helping the police catch a serial killer, though he might actually be the serial killer himself. Twisty. I can't wait.

9. Merchant's Daughter by Melanie Dickerson - a retelling of Beauty and the Beast. I love retellings!

10. Heist Society by Ally Carter- I'm a big fan of the Gallagher Girls books, so I'm hoping I'll adore Heist Society as well... especially since it's on sale for four bucks at my store, so I can snatch it up if I like it.

11. Dead To You by Lisa McMann - Another contemporary abduction story, but this one is about a boy who is returned to his family eleven years later.

12. Aurelia by Anne Osterlund - Another fantasy about a princess, but this one doesn't want to marry the king. Instead, she falls in love with the royal spy. Oooooh.

NOT PICTURED (library says they're on their way, so hopefully they'll arrive before I leave):


13. Miracle by Elizabeth Scott - Contemporary book about a girl who survives a plane crash that kills her whole family. Did I mention we're flying to Ohio? Okay, so I'm not the brightest.

14. A Breath of Eyre by Eve Marie Mont - A retelling of Jane Eyre that's been on my wishlist for ages and that I'm soooo looking forward to reading.

~~*~~

Okay, so I may not bring ALL of these books with me, but I'm going to try. The silly airline people don't put a weight restriction on carry-on luggage. The fools. And I may not be able to actually finish ALL of these by the end of my vacation, but I'm going to try that, too. As Maria Von Trapp sings, "I have confidence in meeeeeee."

Darn right I do.
So there you have it, all my plans laid bare before you. What do you think of my reading packing list? Have you read any of the book I'm bringing? What did you think? (I need help prioritizing!) What books would YOU take on vacation?

Oh, and please be gentle with me when I come back. I'll likely be fighting off a major adrenaline hangover from all those coasters.