Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Wishlist Wednesday #5

Totally the property of Pen to Paper.
One hundred and sixty-nine. I have one hundred and sixty-nine books on my to-read list. The overabundance of choices available for my wishlist makes my head spin.

BUT this week there was no contest. One book jumped off my list and smacked me in the face while flaunting its awesomeness with a sassiness that would put Tyra Banks to shame.
When Rachel Adam’s father fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, she is assigned a new Protector, her father’s apprentice, Logan—the same boy Rachel declared her love for two years ago, and the same boy who handed her heart right back to her. With a fierce belief in her father’s survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. But treason against the Commander carries a heavy price, and what awaits her in the Wasteland could destroy her. 

As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making.
As far as I can tell, this is a fantasy book. I say "as far as I can tell," because Rachel Adams isn't a very fantasy-ish name, but I'm okay with that. I sometimes pend half my time in a book puzzling over how to say a name, which can be very distracting.

Have I mentioned that I love fantasy books? I really do. I like high fantasy (the stuff with elves and dwarves and dragons and stuff) on down. There isn't a mention of non-humans in the blurb, so this is probably a bit below high fantasy, and that's fine with me.

I can already tell this book is going to be overflowing with tension and drama. First of all, we've got the bodyguard scenario. Bodyguards mean someone is important and needs protecting. I love bodyguards. But in this case, the bodyguard is an ex-crush who rejected her! Awkward awkward awkward. Awkward is the best when you know that awkward rejection will, in the end, become love and respect.

Also, two words here: Defiance and Wasteland. Wasteland, despite being a common noun, is so evocative for me. I picture a harsh, flat expanse, like a Badlands-meets-that-camp-from-Holes type place. And then look at the title. Defiance! Yeah! Fight the power, girl. Do what you know is right. I still get chills during Eowyn's Pelennor scene.

Lastly, the cover. This is another one that could've made it into both Wishlist Wednesday and Cover Love. It's dark and atmospheric. She's got one of those metal armband things (feel free to chime in with the name) that makes your arm look rugged, she's dressed in black, she's a redhead, AND SHE'S WEARING PANTS. Hooray for practical pants!

To recap, I want this book. I want want want want want this book. I just have to wait until September. :(

What do you think of Defiance? Do you want it as badly as I do? What books are you looking forward to?