Thursday, July 5, 2012

Cover Love #6


Squee! I do believe Cover Love is the best part of my week. I have absolutely zero artistic ability, so just the thought of putting together such beautiful covers is daunting in the extreme to me. There are so many beautiful, beautiful books floating around this big old world, and it thrills me to pieces to be able to squeal over them with you all.

This week, I chose a book that blew me away with its design. It's contemporary, so I mightn't have given it a second glance if I hadn't been captivated by what the design team at Delacorte put together.
Meant to be or not meant to be . . . that is the question. 

It's one thing to fall head over heels into a puddle of hazelnut coffee, and quite another to fall for the—gasp—wrong guy. Straight-A junior Julia may be accident prone, but she's queen of following rules and being prepared. That's why she keeps a pencil sharpener in her purse and a pocket Shakespeare in her, well, pocket. And that's also why she's chosen Mark Bixford, her childhood crush, as her MTB ("meant to be").

But this spring break, Julia's rules are about to get defenestrated (SAT word: to be thrown from a window) when she's partnered with her personal nemesis, class-clown Jason, on a school trip to London. After one wild party, Julia starts receiving romantic texts . . . from an unknown number! Jason promises to help discover the identity of her mysterious new suitor if she agrees to break a few rules along the way. And thus begins a wild goose chase through London, leading Julia closer and closer to the biggest surprise of all: true love.

Because sometimes the things you least expect are the most meant to be.
 Look at all the pretty! Okay, so I'm not such a fan of the two figures. They just look funny. But forget the people, and look at that background!

It reminds me of the stripes of a circus tent, but one that you would find in one of the chalk drawings in Mary Poppins. I love the colors, I love the bubbles, I love Big Ben. I even love the font.

I'm not sure how well the design will fit the feel of the book, but that's okay. The blurb makes it sound like Julia is Debbie Reynolds from The Tender Trap (everything planned to a T), and I suspect Jason is running the same game as Tom Hanks in You've Got Mail. I adore You've Got Mail, and I fully intend to enjoy this book.

Of course, I might not have noticed it at all if it weren't for the cover.

What do you think of this cover? Any design you've been drooling over recently?