Tuesday, July 31, 2012

My Six-Month Blogoversary, Complete With Recap!

Used with permission, from the book
"Happy Birthday Kansas!"
Well, you guys, we made it. Six months ago, I hung up my shingle as Shelver of Bookshelvers Anonymous. Six months and three days, technically, because I started on January 28. But now I'm just being pedantic.

Six months! PAR-TAY!

I know everyone else did their lists for the first half of the year last month, but I decided to wait until now to give you my list. Of course, this'll make me short in December, but that's okay. Anyways, let's get to the lists. I love lists. They take the happy experiences of life and order and quantify them! ... I probably lost some of you there, but believe me, lists are cool. (Like bowties. Bowties are cool.)

In the last six months...

Well, a lot of things have happened. The following is going to seem pretty stat-heavy, but I love stats! It makes everything seem more manageable. (For more of that, see my Make A List post.)

- I've posted 82 times. Eighty-two! That might not seem like a lot to you more experienced bloggers, but that feels like an awful lot to me.

- Of those posts, 25 were reviews, 8 were Wishlist Wednesday posts, 7 were Cover Love posts, 5 were interviews/guest posts, 4 were giveaways, and 31 were "other."

- My three most popular posts to date have been:

- Of the reviews I've posted, the most well-represented genres have been contemporary, historical, fantasy, and dystopian. All four are neck and neck, which is surprising, because I don't consider myself much of a contemporary fan. Then again, most of the contemporaries are also labeled under apocalyptic, hijinks (hi, Gallagher Girls!), or modern-day retellings. Only a few are straight, Sarah Dessen-type contemporary.

Stars for everyone! Okay, not really.
- All in all, I gave (or will give, if I haven't posted reviews yet) 6 books five-star reviews on Goodreads. I'll post more on this in the future, but for me, five stars doesn't always mean the book is the best technically speaking, but rather that the stories have burrowed so deeply inside of me that you'll have to pry the books from my cold, dead fingers.

- 3 others didn't earn five stars, but have elbowed their way up in my estimation the more I've thought about them.

- With all that in mind, my top 10 books thus far in alphabetical order are:
- I also have a few honorable mentions that just barely scooched out of the top ten:
  • Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
  • Cinder by Marissa Meyer
  • Out of Sight, Out of Time by Ally Carter (this was strictly a fun-for-me read, not meant for review, and boy was it fun!)
  • Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
  • Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

- On the downside, I did end up marking 4 books as Did Not Finish (DNF), and 7 others made me really, really cranky. No, I won't name them.

- On the plus side, I've gotten to read a bunch of really, really cool books! I don't do the different "what I've gotten this week" memes, so I decided to do one big six-month wrap-up. I think that those who have been generous with me deserve another round of thanks.

Given:
Won:
  • Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson ARC (from HarperTeen)
  • Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy (from Dot Hutchinson)
  • Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers ARC (from a really cool blog - but I forget which!)
  • Pinch Hit by Tim Green (from Mr. Green via Goodreads)
Bought:
  • Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen
  • Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock
  • The Thief's Covenant by Ari Marmell
  • A complete collection of Grimm's fairy tales
  • SuperFreakonomics by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner (Yes, that's how I roll)

Most of all, I want to thank all of you. You all have supported me, answered my pesky questions, and brought up some interesting queries of your own, making this blog much better than I could have made it by myself. Here's hoping the rest of 2012 will be just as amazing.

Okay, okay, enough mushiness. Time for a comment section free-for-all! Is there anything I didn't mention that you'd like to know? Is there a topic you'd like me to write a post on (or just answer in the comments)? Is there a certain kind of post you'd like to see more of? Is there something I'm not doing that you'd like to see changed?