Thursday, August 2, 2012

Cover Love #8


Happy Thursday, friends! Sit down, shake the stress out, and feast your eyes on the highlighted cover this week... Or maybe "shake out the stress" won't be entirely possible, because the cover I chose this week is like Yzma - scary beyond all reason.
Mara, a high school dancer, begins to mentally unravel when she starts to hear a voice telling her to what to do and who to kill.
So yeah...  This one's a bit of a detour for me. Mara is a Createspace book with only two (TWO!) reviews on Amazon. It's not even, technically speaking, a "pretty" cover. But it does it's job, which is what you want from a cover.

My stomach tightens a bit just looking at this cover. I don't have to read the description to know what's going on. There's a psycho in this book, probably the ballerina based on her criss-crossy black top. And her name is Mara. Unless you're a "daughter of the Nile," being a Mara usually isn't a good thing.

The faded quality of the image could come across as antique or nostalgic on some books, but not this one. Maybe it's the bloody red stripes that make the difference. I don't know. I'm sure a marketer or a graphic designer (or maybe one of you smart commenters) can break it down for me.

All I know is that I look at this cover and I hear the violins from Psycho. THAT'S what makes this a great cover and worthy of Cover Love.

What do you all think of this cover? Has anyone out there read Mara? Can anyone articulate why this cover is so CREEPY?