Thursday, September 27, 2012

Cover Love #12


It's Thursday, and that means it's Cover Love time! This week I chose a cover that's atmospheric but not as dark as last my last Cover Love. (My mom was concerned by my taste in covers.)

Darcy Jones doesn’t remember anything before the day she was abandoned as a child outside a Chicago firehouse. She has never really belonged anywhere—but she couldn’t have guessed that she comes from an alternate world where the Great Chicago Fire didn’t happen and deadly creatures called Shades terrorize the human population.

Memories begin to haunt Darcy when a new boy arrives at her high school, and he makes her feel both desire and desired in a way she hadn’t thought possible. But Conn’s interest in her is confusing. It doesn’t line up with the way he first looked at her.

As if she were his enemy.

When Conn betrays Darcy, she realizes that she can’t rely on anything—not herself, not the laws of nature, and certainly not him. Darcy decides to infiltrate the Shadow Society and uncover the Shades’ latest terrorist plot. What she finds out will change her world forever . . .
Dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnnn! Do you see what I mean by atmospheric?

I have to admit, I first thought this book might be one of those depressing, introspective adult books. (You know, the kind where the woman spends the entire time complaining about her childhood and her marriage.) But the cover was just so pretty that I took a peek at the synopsis. Then BAM! I was seeing the cover in a whole new light!

The font should've tipped me off that it wasn't straight adult fiction. Its flourishes seem to say fantasy, but they're too angular, closer to the fonts used in This Dark Endeavour or Cinder. Finding out it's what seems to be a contemporary paranormal makes perfect sense. The cityscape at the bottom also gives potential readers the heads up that the book will be grounded (at least somewhat) in the real world.

More than anything, I love the combination of the gloomy, saturated colors and the reflection in the rain puddle. As the book is about an alternate world that touches the real one, the visual metaphor of a girl's reflection in a rain puddle is just perfect. It's like Alice and her looking glass, but for the teen set.

According to Goodreads, The Shadow Society comes out next month, and if it's anything as lovely as its cover, I think I'm going to pick it up.

What cover do you love this week?

To join Cover Love:

1. Follow Bookshelvers Anonymous as the host of the meme (my work, so I get credit. No stealing).
2. Find a cover that just makes you go wild with designer delight.
3. Highlight said cover in a Thursday post. Here and here are my two previous Cover Love posts for reference.
4. Link back to Bookshelvers Anonymous somewhere in your post (when I do other blogs' memes, I put the meme button at the top of the page and then link in the button's caption).
5. Consider adding the meme button somewhere on your blog so others can join also. This step isn't required, but it'd be awfully nice. The HTML for the button is in my right sidebar, and I can help you through the adding process if you'd like.
6. Add your blog to the linky list at the bottom of this post - it makes it easier for all of us to find each other AND it's a great way to generate traffic for your blog.