Friday, September 7, 2012

How The Random Customers Saved The Day

I wish I were this cute when grumpy.
I don't know about you all, but this week has not been fun. Nothing's been outrageously wrong. I'm just grumpy. At the moment, I'm blaming the weather, but I'll think of a different reason tomorrow. Unless, of course, the rain continues, and then I am totally blaming the weather. Stupid weather.

So I'm sitting here, staring at a blank screen, being generally grumpy. I need a Friday post, and I can't think of a single thing. Grumpy Shelver.

And then! Bam! I spot a note I jotted to myself months ago, and I'm instantly happy again.

You see, a few months ago I was feeling the exact same level of grumpiness. It was a bad day at work, the same day as the infamous Neon Orange Kiddie Barf Incident, and I was generally displeased with the entire world. And let me tell you, there's nothing worse than being displeased with the entire world and still having to smile pleasantly. Grumble grumble grumble.

And then! Bam! Sudden influx of freaking awesome customers.

In the space of one shift, I had encounters with four really amazing customers. (No, none of them were any of my regulars, though Red Dwarf Fan Guy may have come in later that evening.)

Picture the scene, will you? There I stand behind the register, glasses perched jauntily upon my nose, eyeing the damp, now-barfless spot on the carpet with disdain. To my left is a man talking with a woman. I pay them no mind until I realize that the man has tattoos on either shoulder.

Now I'm curious. Trying not to call attention to myself, I squint my eyes... Yes, ladies and gentlemen, that is a grown man, probably 40+ years old, with a tattoo of the Starbucks logo on one shoulder and a dancing Max and Wild Thing on the other. A grown man! With characters from children's lit permanently engraved into his epidermis!

I confess to staring unabashedly until he left the store.

My next encounter was audial instead of visual. I had a lovely chat over the checkout counter with a semi-retired couple from England. I don't remember where they were from (Southampton, maybe?), but British accents are to Shelver's ears as Oreo truffles are to Shelver's mouth. Yummmmm. We just stood and chatted about their time in the States and my study abroad experience in Nottingham.

A few hours after they left, I met Aidan. Aidan was about seven or so and very shy. I could tell by the way he would flush and squirm as he grabbed the edge of the counter as if his life depended on it. "Um, ma'am?" he began. (Side note: Since when am I old enough to be called ma'am?!) "I'm looking for a book. Would you help me find it, please?" Well-mannered and a reader? I melted like an Hershey Kiss on a dashboard. I found him his book and a few more before biding him and his mother a good day.

Then, to top it all off, one of my final customers of the day was a guy in his 20's, real macho guy, who came up with one book - Mockingjay! He implied he wasn't much of a reader, but he really enjoyed the Hunger Games series and he wanted some recommendations for when he was done.

It was all I could do not to blurt out that I had a blog and that I LOVED dystopian books and ohmygosh I'll give him more recommendations he could read in a lifetime! Instead, I played it cool. Insurgent had just come out, so I plucked it from the front rack and told him about the series. Then, while he was preoccupied, I ran back to the YA section and gathered up copies of some of my favorite YA adventure books. His eyes may have widened a wee bit, but I enjoyed myself immensely!

I mean, gah. Just look at him.
There's really no point to this post. Writing it made me happy. I'm no longer grumpy (though watching Matt Bomer on TV may have something to do with that). And maybe wherever you are, it's raining like it is here, or you're sick of work, or you're just having a lousy week. Here's my contribution of happy. I hope it helps.

The comment section is now open. Comment below to contribute your own happiness.