Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Wishlist Wednesday #11

Totally the property of Pen To Paper
Let's jump right to the good stuff, shall we?

TADA!
A DYING LAND 
The Shima Imperium verges on the brink of environmental collapse; an island nation once rich in tradition and myth, now decimated by clockwork industrialization and the machine-worshipers of the Lotus Guild. The skies are red as blood, the land is choked with toxic pollution, and the great spirit animals that once roamed its wilds have departed forever. 

AN IMPOSSIBLE QUEST
The hunters of Shima’s imperial court are charged by their Shōgun to capture a thunder tiger—a legendary creature, half-eagle, half-tiger. But any fool knows the beasts have been extinct for more than a century, and the price of failing the Shōgun is death.

A SIXTEEN YEAR OLD GIRL
Yukiko is a child of the Fox clan, possessed of a talent that if discovered, would see her executed by the Lotus Guild. Accompanying her father on the Shōgun’s hunt, she finds herself stranded: a young woman alone in Shima’s last wilderness, with only a furious, crippled thunder tiger for company. Even though she can hear his thoughts, even though she saved his life, all she knows for certain is he’d rather see her dead than help her. 

But together, the pair will form an indomitable friendship, and rise to challenge the might of an empire.

You can't see me, but I'm currently sitting cross-legged on my couch, bouncing excitedly. Let's break this synopsis down, shall we?

Okay, so it's a dystopian. I love dystopians. Dystopians are exciting. But there are so many dystopians out there right now. What makes this one so special?

IT'S SET IN JAPAN! Okay, so maybe not the Japan that we know. But look at those proper nouns. Shima Imperium? Lotus Guild? Shogun? Yukiko? Totally Japan-flavored. I love a traditional US- or UK-based dystopian, but you have to admit that being set in the Far East kicks this story up to a whole new level of awesome.

Second, shoguns, in my limited experience, usually means samurais. Just the word samurai makes me want to perch on my ottoman and squeal, "Hi-yaaaaaaah!" Also, samurais have pretty awesome weapons, as shown by the wicked awesome sword the girl in the cover is unsheathing.

Oh, and what is she hunting with said sword? A thunder tiger! Is that an insanely awesome name for a species or what? Based on the description and the cover, a thunder tiger is what we usually refer to as a griffin. I've personally been in love with griffins ever since Quest for Camelot, so I'm excited. Even better, though, is that Yukiko and said thunder tiger aren't on the best of terms. I'm sure they'll work it out in the end, but we're not going to be thrown into a sweet, buddy-buddy story a la The Black Stallion or Old Yeller.

I could go on, but I think you all get my point by now. I'm super-excited about this book. We wants it, Precious.

What book are you looking forward to this Wednesday?