Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Wishlist Wednesday #12

Totally the property of Pen to Paper

Forget every other book I've ever whined about wanting on this blog. All of them. Forget them. The book I'm about to show you is THE book that I want. In fact, whenever I do finally get my hands on this book, I strongly suspect that I will just not show up for work for the first time in my entire life.

LOOK!
Sybella arrives at the convent’s doorstep half mad with grief and despair. Those that serve Death are only too happy to offer her refuge—but at a price. Naturally skilled in both the arts of death and seduction, the convent views Sybella as one of their most dangerous weapons.

But those assassin’s skills are little comfort when the convent returns her to a life that nearly drove her mad. Her father’s rage and brutality are terrifying, and her brother’s love is equally monstrous. And while Sybella is a weapon of justice wrought by the god of Death himself, He must give her a reason to live. When she discovers an unexpected ally imprisoned in the dungeons, will a daughter of Death find something other than vengeance to live for?

This heart-pounding sequel to Grave Mercy serves betrayal, treachery, and danger in equal measure, bringing readers back to fifteenth century Brittany and will keep them on the edge of their seats.
Is anybody else having trouble breathing? No? That's just me? I have literally been looking forward to this book from the moment I finished Grave Mercy. If you haven't read Grave Mercy, I suggest you read my review and then buy it post haste. I also suggest you read my interview with Ms. Robin herself!

But, you might be wondering, what has me so excited other than the fact that it's the sequel to one of my favorite books OF THE ENTIRE YEAR?

Okay, first, nun assassins. Really, how can you beat a hook like that? NUN. ASSASSINS.

Second, it's about Sybella. Grave Mercy was solidly Ismae's book, and Sybella had very few appearances. Yet every time she appeared, she stole the show. Frankly, she's a bit nuts! That and she's more powerful than even Ismae, which is saying something. I can't wait to see what kind of danger she puts herself into, especially considering I'm pretty sure I know who her father is...

Third, we're returning to Brittany, which is GREAT news. Ms. Robin has done her research to an extent that flabbergasted me. Despite being a solid six hundred years removed from present day, fifteenth century Brittany felt so very alive. I can't wait to disappear into that world again.

Fourth, the returning characters. I don't know who all will return, but we've already been promised at least a token appearance from Ismae and Duval. Anne will probably play a role in the proceedings, as well (and maybe Isabeau?). We'll probably hear from Annith, too, as the third book will be her story. I also can't wait to meet new faces, if they're anywhere near as fantastic as the returning cast.

Fifth, the wounded knight in the dungeon. I don't think I'm allowed to say who he is, but let me just say that when I heard, I was rendered speechless. Then, when I could speak again, I flipped out. I am SO excited to read what happens and to find out how he impacts man-hater Sybella.

At the moment, I'm kind of like this:




What are you wishing for this Wednesday?