Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Wishlist Wednesday #13

Totally the property of Pen to Paper
In 1897 England, sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne has no one...except the "thing" inside her.When a young lord tries to take advantage of Finley, she fights back. And wins. But no "normal" Victorian girl has a darker side that makes her capable of knocking out a full-grown man with one punch....

Only Griffin King sees the magical darkness inside her that says she's special, says she's one of "them." The orphaned duke takes her in from the gaslit streets against the wishes of his band of misfits: Emily, who has her own special abilities and an unrequited love for Sam, who is part robot; and Jasper, an American cowboy with a shadowy secret.

Griffin's investigating a criminal called The Machinist, the mastermind behind several recent crimes by automatons. Finley thinks she can help--and finally be a part of something, finally fit in.

But The Machinist wants to tear Griff's little company of strays apart, and it isn't long before trust is tested on all sides. At least Finley knows whose side she's on--even if it seems no one believes her.
Steampunk! I love the idea of steampunk. I think the whole vibe of mixing machinery and Victorian elements together is just scrumptious. Sadly, I haven't read much steampunk... Actually, I don't know that I've read any at all. The Girl in the Steel Corset seems like a brilliant way to start.

Let me just say, first of all, that I'm not digging the name "Finley Jayne" (it doesn't scream 19th century England to me), but I'll give her a pass because she can knock out a man with one punch. I love that! Girls physically often have a harder time of it in life because we're weaker than guys when it comes to bulk, muscle mass, etc. Stupid testosterone. So the idea of a girl being able to go all Hulk on a full-grown man for the sake of self-defense makes me cackle maniacally.


Second, I'm always game for a band of misfits. All sorts of good things happen when a creator smacks together a bunch of jagged edged, wacked-out outcasts and makes them work together for a common purpose. Robin Hood and his gang? The Fellowship from The Lord of the Rings? The Avengers? That group of soldiers from Operation Dumbo Drop? Good stuff, people! 

This particular band of misfits sounds intriguing. I liked the idea of a girl with an attitude problem (because that's what Emily sounds like) crushing on a cyborg. My guess is said cyborg will either by shy and reclusive or moody and cynical. Either way, book gold! But the idea of an American cowboy named Jasper really sold it for me. An American in a Brit story! A COWBOY! (Really, we need more YA cowboy stories, ASAP.) I also really like the name Jasper. And not a one of them, except for the regally named Griffin King, trusts Finley.

Oh yeah, something something something about a villain who's killing people and tearing apart the group. Yup. Since the synopsis is a little vague on that point, I can't say much. But it doesn't matter.

Fighter girl, band of misfits, orphaned duke, unrequited love, cyborg, American cowboy. I'm all in.

What are you wishing for this Wednesday?