Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Wishlist Wednesday #15

Hosted by Pen To Paper
Running from her traitorous best friend and her estranged father, graffiti artist Beth Bradley is looking for sanctuary. What she finds is Urchin, the ragged and cocky crown prince of London’s mystical underworld. Urchin opens Beth’s eyes to the city she’s never truly seen-where vast spiders crawl telephone wires seeking voices to steal, railwraiths escape their tethers, and statues conceal an ancient priesthood robed in bronze.

But it all teeters on the brink of destruction. Amid rumors that Urchin’s goddess mother will soon return from her 15-year exile, Reach, a malign god of urban decay, wants the young prince dead. Helping Urchin raise an alleyway army to reclaim his skyscraper throne, Beth soon forgets her old life. But when her best friend is captured, Beth must choose between this wondrous existence and the life she left behind.
One of the perils of having a gargantuan to-read list is that gems like this book are quickly forgotten. I had no idea this book even existed until I was scrolling through my list and the title managed to catch my eye.

Try to ignore the cover (I hate it) and focus instead on the description. First of all, runaway graffiti artists are always fun. They're edgy in a petty-crime sort of way. And while I sneer slightly at the name Urchin, I'm a sucker for cocky princes. I'm not exactly sure what this "mystical underworld" thing is all about, and I hope Pollock can pull it all off. Spiders that steal VOICES? Railwraiths? Creepy statues? Yes please! Only the "goddess mother" and the "god of urban decay" make me pause.

With all these different components at work, this book could either be really lame or really cool. And really, isn't that an exciting prospect?

What are YOU wishing for this Wednesday?

Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide