Tuesday, November 20, 2012

I Give Thanks For...

Hi all!

Thanksgiving is only a couple days away, and I thought about doing some big post listing all the things I'm thankful for. But while that's a great personal exercise, I'm not entirely sure it would make for a fun read for you all.

Instead, I've decided to do a post about one particular thing that I'm thankful for: words.

I'm such a word nerd. I LOVE words. I love fun-sounding words, and words with cool meanings. I was the girl who would giggle with delight over GRE flashcards. Yeah.

Some fun (real!) words I'm thankful for:
- Expectorating
- Ubiquitous
- Opprobrium
- Spelunk
- Tartle
- Lugubrious
- Delugtition
- Ozostomia
- Maulifuff
- Collywobbles
- Quodlibetarian
- Booboisie

I also like learning how words evolve and change over time to encompass new meanings.

The Mysteries of Vernacular is a set of paper animations detailing the etymological roots of everyday words. That may not sound interesting, but it's super-cool. As of this post, they only have 8 posts up, but they hope to have 26 at the end, one for each letter of the alphabet.

I've posted a few of my favorites below, but you can watch them all at http://www.mysteriesofvernacular.com/

Assassin


Hearse

Pants

Word-wise, what are you thankful for?