Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012 End Of The Year Survey - Book Blogging/Reading Life In 2012

Image and meme property of Perpetual Page Turner

I came across the End of the Year Survey as hosted by Perpetual Page Turner and LOVED it. There are so many lists I could make, but this one seems to pull together the highlights. It's a pretty long list, and I'm a bit wordy, so I've split up the list across several days so I don't bore you all.

This is part three of the survey. You can find part one and two here, as well as my Favorite Secondary Characters interlude.

Some questions have been broken down into subquestions (again, because I'm wordy), and I try to link all books mentioned back to their review at least once in the list. Enjoy!
21. New Favorite Book Blog You Discovered In 2012?
Thankfully, I don't even have to try to answer this question. I've already done an entire post that will answer for me! Prior to 2012, I followed mainly agent blogs, so every blog on this list is a valid entry (I think.)

22. Favorite Review That You Wrote In 2012?
Oh sad. It's like picking a favorite child. I will say that I'm proud of myself for being able to review Code Name Verity in a semi-decent, non-spoilery fashion. And for being able to do the same for The Girl of Fire and Thorns despite my urge to gush.

And, if I'm being very honest, I'm pleased with my review/rant combo for Quarantine: The Loners. [Note: I'm also a bit tickled at my formatting for my review of Vessel by Sarah Beth Durst, but you all won't see that until 2013, so keep your eyes peeled.]

23. Best Discussion You Had On Your Blog In 2012?
I'm tickled pink at the current discussion on the blog, the one involving New Adult. I'm so proud of you guys. Not everyone agrees with me (in fact, many of you don't!), but you all are providing thoughtful, in-depth, well-mannered comments. With all the news of bad blogger behavior floating around the web, I LOVE you all for being so awesome.

I also was thrilled with the reaction you all provided to my Ginormo Blogger Love post. I wanted to show some love to great bloggers, and you guys were all over it!

24. Most Thought-Provoking Review Or Discussion You Read On Someone Else's Blog?
Oh drat, you've got me. I'm awful at remembering where I read what. But I have an out, because most everything I read that really makes me stop and think can be found in YA Highway's weekly Field Trip Friday posts. (I promise to be better at this next year.)

25. Best Event That You Participated In? (Author signings, festivals, memes, etc.)
I haven't participated in any real-life events this year (I know, I know), but I've very much enjoyed participating in the various memes, especially Top 10 Tuesday. What can I say? I love lists!

26. Best Moment Of Book Blogging In 2012?
Goodness. Well, I squealed like a piglet when I discovered Sounis for the first time, and again when my first author followed me on Twitter. (Love you, A.C. Gaughen!) Having Ms. Wendy Darling of The Midnight Garden compliment me on my Stormdancer review and Ms. Robin LaFevers tell me I was awesome made me blush pretty hard, too.

27. Most Popular Post (By Views Or Comments) On Your Blog This Year? [Note: I am not counting giveaway posts.]

27a. By Views?
As of 8:43 PM, December 22, 2012, my New Adult; Or There Be Rough Waters Ahead, Matey! post is leading with 709 views. Astonishingly (awesomely), the much newer Ginormo Blogger Love post is right behind with 708 views!

27b. By Comments?
As of the same time stamp above, it looks like New Adult; Or There Be Rough Waters Ahead, Matey! may be the winner again with 31 comments. Of course, half of those are mine, thanks to my reply policy.

28. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Well, I love love in general, and I especially think posts from my early days could use some extra affection. However, the one that I often think of wistfully is my Mockingjay Debate post, arguing the appropriateness of the end of the Hunger Games series. Please note that there are spoilers in that post, so proceed with caution. Also, I'm leaving my old, wonky formatting as is as an exercise in humility. Oy.

29. Best Bookish Discovery? (Book-related sites, bookstore, etc.)
Hands down, my best personal discovery was rediscovering how fantastic the clearance section of a bookstore can be. Also, thrift stores. Thrift stores are fantastic.

30. Did You Complete Any Reading Challenges Or Goals That You Had Set For Yourself At The Beginning Of The Year?
I didn't set any goals other than don't completely fail at starting a blog. So yes, yes I did.

~~*~~

Thus ends part three of my End of the Year survey. Come back tomorrow for the final installment.