Friday, December 7, 2012

Blogger Spotlight - In Which Ems Reviews Books


It's that time again! In case you all missed the Spotlight post and are wondering what the heck this is, let me give you a recap. Several weeks ago, I made up a ginormo post listing a bunch of book blogs that I follow and adore. You guys did exactly as I hoped and ran off to check out the blogs. Now I want to do more. Every Friday that I can, I will highlight one blog and one blogger. They will get their time in the spotlight to tell you all about themselves and their blogs. Then, I hope, you'll go and check them out further.

Their traffic gets a boost, and you get a new blog to follow. Win-win!

This week, we get to visit with Ems from In Which Ems Reviews Books.

Fast Facts!

Name: In Which Ems Reviews Books

Creator: Ems (or Emily)

Start date: June 17, 2010

Number of GFC followers: 607 (as of 11/25)

Post(s) I enjoyed: I love Ems' reviews! (Hehe, fitting.)

~~*~~

Ems
Shelver: Hello, Ems, m'dear! Would you please introduce yourself?

Ems: Hello, my friend! First of all, thanks for having me! I think this is my very first blogging interview ever. :)

Hi, I'm Ems, and I'm a bookaholic. Luckily, I've no interest in being 'cured' from this particular addiction. I live for books! I'm actually pretty sure that my tombstone is going to say something along the lines of 'would rather read than breathe' because it's true. I read as much as I possibly can, anywhere I can. Aside from that, I'm currently working on my 2nd Bachelor's Degree in Education, and teaching first/second grade. It's...an experience. I also work as a librarian and LOVE that. Anything that puts me near books and gives me the chance to talk about them is a situation all made of win for me.

I am the favorite auntie, I love cats (though I don't have any at the moment), I cross stitch, scrapbook, and design cards. I'm a huge Francophile and Anglophile, though I also consider myself part Brasilian. I'm a pretty fabulous cook and I love trying new things in the kitchen. I also love to dress up. Yes, I mean in costumes. No, I don't do it on a regular basis. Hallowe'en-time only, I'm afraid.

I don't like snow (and I live in Idaho, so that's kind of awful), bats, spiders, clowns, cooked green peppers, and I'm deathly allergic to celery. :D

S: Yay! I love being a part of someone's "firsts." And I'd like to know if anyone out there actually LIKES clowns. Those guys are creepy as all-get-out.

Okay, imagine for a moment that you're sitting in a subway car. Your stop is coming up and you only have a few minutes to describe your blog to us, your fellow passengers. Go!

E: There's nothing I like more than sharing a great book with someone, so I have this fantastic blog where I can do just that. I'll point out the things that made a book special or why it didn't work for me. The biggest thing I try to do is spread the word - you never know when something is going to catch someone's interest, so I try to share it all! (this is actually a pretty lame plug for me, but I couldn't think of anything to say that wasn't gushy gibberish!)

S: Let me add that bit for you, then. Folks, her blog is made of awesomeness and sprinkles.

Why did you decide to start a blog?


Seriously. It's like talking to a wall.
E: I got tired of the blank stares people would give me when I'd talk about the latest great book I'd read. I wanted a place where I could gush or moan about books without feeling like I was speaking a foreign language. Basically, I got tired of feeling intellectually superior to everyone who doesn't read. (which is horrible to admit to, but I totally did...if they admitted they didn't read, I couldn't help feeling a bit of pity and/or disdain - the ones who CHOSE not to read, mind you.)

S: I don't know whether that's a horrible thing to admit or not, but I totally understand. Why can't all of us readers happen to grow up on the same street or something?!

So what are your favorite genres?

E: I love YA & adult paranormal, fantasy, sci-fi (including dystopia & post apocalyptic), historical fiction, romance (I'm getting a little bit more saucy in my tastes now), some YA contemp, some adult contemp. I don't really like nonfiction all the much. I live nonfiction, so why would I relax with it? :)

S: Quite an array!

What are your least favorite genres, then?

E: Probably contemp, although there are a few gems out there that I've loved. I should clarify and say that it's the HEAVY contemp that I don't like.

S: Ah yes, the dreaded "issue books."

In case I haven't told you enough recently, I LOVE your blog. I especially like your swirly signature and your Eiffel Tower ratings. Did you go into blogging knowing how you wanted things to look? If not, how did you arrive at your current design?

E: Thank you! I'm quite fond of it myself. I didn't have any sort of idea when I started. I picked a background that was cutesy and stuck with it for a few months. I drew my own rating system (which can be seen on older posts) that consisted of faces showing how I felt about the books. My favorite might have been 'makes me angry'. It didn't really fit with ME though, so I started morphing things. I've always been a big lover of all things vintage, so I knew I wanted to start going in that direction. I found a background that I loved (and that wasn't all over the blogosphere) and gradually started adding things on to make it more into something that reflected my personality. I did away with the faces earlier this year and went with the Eiffel Tower ratings. That's been my most favorite change so far. My sister, who is a graphic designer, is working on a new banner/button for me. I bought my current image, but I'm starting to see it elsewhere and I want something that's just ME.

S: A graphic designer sister? Ugh, I'm so jealous. I can't wait to see what she comes up with.

If you were stranded on a desert island and could only bring three novels (books, not series), which books would you choose?

E: NO SERIES?! Are you a sadist or something?!

Okay, okay. I'd take The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, The Hobbit by Tolkien, and A Treasury of the World's Greatest Fairy Tales (edited by Helen Hyman).

S: Haha, I totally called The Night Circus!

Anything else you'd like us to know about you or your blog?

E: Come visit me! I love making new friends!

~~*~~

That's your cue. Check out In Which Ems Reviews Books and follow Ems on Twitter. She's really cool and lots of fun. I promise you won't regret it. Also, the crazy chick reads and reviews like half a dozen books a week, so there's always awesomeness flowing. Thanks for stopping by, Ems!

If you'd like to write a Blogger Spotlight of your own, feel free to take my button and then send me the link so I can visit.