Friday, December 14, 2012

The Hobbit Is Here! The Hobbit Is Here!


GUYS!!! I'm so excited, I'm about to burst. Today is Friday, December 14, 2012. THE RELEASE DAY OF THE HOBBIT! If you don't care, you can just leave now. There's very little erudite discussion (read: none) and a whooooole lot of fangirlin' going on over here.


I'm sure some of you have already seen The Hobbit, thanks to the wonder that is the midnight showing. If you ever have a chance to partake in that heady mixture of lack of sleep, homemade costumes, and raucous, nerdy delight, please do. I fully intended to splurge for The Hobbit and pay for the 3-D IMAX midnight showing, but alas, I had to work. Unlike some hearty souls, if I get less than five hours of sleep or so, I become physically ill in a barfy way.

Like this, but with more vomit and general crankiness.

Instead, the plan is to go tonight, and I CAN'T WAIT!

I can pinpoint the exact moment I was introduced to Middle-Earth. In 2001, when I was ten years old, the buzz was building around the Lord of the Rings trilogy. There were Burger King toys and books and commercials and everything, and my dad had gone out and bought The Lord of the Rings set from Sam's Club. I was there when he bought and remember thinking, "Hmmm. Dad likes cool things. If he's buying this book, it must be cool. I don't get the stuff about rings and things. It must be an allegory, like Narnia and stuff. I must read it!"

Yeah, I was ten and knew words like allegory. I was that kind of kid. Anyways, a few weeks later, Mom bought The Hobbit so Dad would have a complete set, and while Dad read The Lord of the Rings, I read The Hobbit.

When I say read, I mean devoured. I wish I could go back into my ten-year-old brain and analyze what precisely I liked about the book. I look back and see a big, wordy book that doesn't immediately come to mind as elementary-school appropriate. But that book was my gateway to Middle-Earth. I zipped through The Hobbit and was immediately begging my dad to read LOTR. I wanted to know what happened to my buddy Bilbo! It took a little longer for me to accept this interloper Frodo, but once I did, my nerdy little life was forever changed.


I'm sure this new movie will change things. Scenes and characters will be dropped, new scenes and characters added or enhanced. I'm okay with that. I thought Peter Jackson did a great job with the LOTR trilogy, so, for now, I'm willing to see what he does. Now, I haven't read The Hobbit again since 2001, so I only remember a few scenes. These are the scenes I can't wait to see in theaters:

- Bilbo meeting the Dwarves (and running away without his handkerchief)
- The forest battle with the Wargs and the trees on fire
- The eagles
- Beorn! (He's my favorite)
- When Bilbo and the Dwarves get lost under the mountain
- Meeting Gollum
- Mirkwood
- Riding in the barrels
- Meeting Smaug
- "The eagles are coming! The eagles are coming!"

As a side note, I also can't wait to meet Radgast the Brown, who was unceremoniously booted from LOTR. Most of all, I simply can't wait to have something to look forward to every year. A movie in theaters, a DVD release, an Extended Edition DVD release, rinse and repeat!

I haven't decided if I'll post my reactions to the movie after I've seen it (I very well may), but please feel free to fill the comments section with your own squeals and observations. (No spoilers, please.) With that, I leave you with a link to the official Hobbit soundtrack and my favorite Middle-Earth poem.




The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with weary feet,
Until it joins some larger way,
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.


The Road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
Let others follow it who can!
Let them a journey new begin,
But I at last with weary feet
Will turn towards the lighted inn,
My evening-rest and sleep to meet.


Have you see The Hobbit yet? What did you think? If you haven't, what scenes are you looking forward to?