Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Top 10 Tuesday: Books I'd Play Hooky With

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
Merry Christmas to all! I'm sure most of you are gathered with friends and family and won't even peek at the internet for the next few days, but I didn't want to leave anyone wandering by high and dry without a post to read. This week's TTT is a freebie, so I chose one in the holiday spirit of curling up with a good book: Top 10 Books I'd Play Hooky With.

Attribution: The Infernal Devices
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. By the time this post airs, I'll know whether or not I received TBT for Christmas. If I did, hooray! If I didn't, I'll run out and buy it. But whenever I get it, I'll break out a pack of highlighters, squirrel myself away in some corner, and not emerge until I'm finished highlighting every last breathtaking line.

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. I'd HAVE to play hooky to get through TLOTR again. It's so gargantuan, but so very worth it. Tolkien has delicious phrasing, and his words burrow right into your brain.

Attribution: Anorien Undomiel
The Graceling Realm series by Kristin Cashore. I just bought myself Graceling and am hoping to add Fire and Bitterblue to my collection soon. I'd love to be able to chuck work aside long enough to reimmerse myself in Cashore's world.

Attribution: Petrichor and Pie
The Queen's Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner. I think it's physically impossible for me to make a TTT list without mentioning MWT. In my pre-blogging days, I read The Queen's Thief series once every three months or so. Not so now. In trying to get a new review out each week, there's very little time to reread old favorites. The thought of spending a day (or two or four) visiting with my pal Eugenides would be fantastic.

Gustav Gloom and the People Taker by Adam-Troy Castro. The underlying theme of this list is "books I don't normally have time to read." I think Gustav Gloom looks like a load of fun, and it's sitting on my bookshelf making eyes at me. I'll get to you soon, Gustav, I promise!

Whyyyyyy isn't the US cover this cool?!
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas. I have an internal timer that goes off after a certain amount of time passes between rereadings. It's time to reread ToG. I need more Chaol. 'Nuff said.

Attribution: roranicused
Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi. My internal timer has gone off for this one as well, but it's even more urgent because the sequel is coming out! Yaaaay Warner!

Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers. I've already only half-jokingly announced my intention to skip work when I get my hands on this book. Really, it's a moral quandary. I like being dependable, and I won't lie to my employer. BUT THIS BOOK!!

Whatever I'm reading now. Except for weekends, I really only read during my lunch breaks at work. It'd be glorious to be able to just sit and read for an entire day as much as I'd like. Heavenly, I say!

What book would be enough to tempt YOU to play hooky?