Friday, January 18, 2013

Blogger Spotlight - A Reader of Fictions


Whew! After a long holiday break, Blogger Spotlight is back and ready to celebrate the wonderful blogs that I love. If you'd like to check out the other installments, you can read my interview with Sunny of Blue Sky Bookshelf here and my interview with Ems of In Which Ems Reviews Books here. If you'd like to host a Blogger Spotlight post on your own blog, just ask!

This week, I'm visiting with Christina of A Reader of Fictions.

Fast Facts!

Name: A Reader of Fictions

Creator: Christina Franke

Start Date: August 4, 2010

Number of GFC Followers: 769 (as of 1/11/13)

Post(s) I Enjoyed: I love Christina's posts in general, but her Cover Snark series KILLS me every single time. Seriously, check out her post from last week.

~~*~~

Shelver: Would you please introduce yourself and your blog? 

Christina: Hi there! I’m Christina and I currently blog at A Reader of Fictions, but I will be moving to Wordpress and a different web address sometime in the near future. Feel free to follow for now, as I’ll make sure to alert everyone to the switch of course.

S: You started blogging in 2010, which is a pretty impressive commitment! Why did you decide to start a blog?

C: Mostly out of boredom and a desire to pad my résumé. At that point, I had just graduated from my MLIS program and was job hunting. Basically, I was lonely, bored, depressed, and surrounded by a bunch of ARCs I’d gotten at ALA 2010, where, incidentally, I was part of the winning book cart drill team. I’d wanted to start a book blog for years, but I finally had the time and the motivation to do it.

S: I have an undying love for librarians. How does your job help your blog, and does it ever work in reverse? 

C: Sorry to disappoint you, dear, but I don’t actually work in a library. The job market for librarians from when I graduated to now is utterly miserable. Of my group of seven friends I graduated with, one of us found full time employment right away. Two of us, me included, found jobs in other sectors through connections. One found a full time library job that she hates over a year after graduation. Two are working a smattering of part time jobs, including some at a library. One had a position as a cruise ship librarian but could handle only so much of that and is now job hunting again. There are too many people wanting library jobs, many of whom have a lot of experience. Even worse, when people quit or retire from a library, the system often just redistributes the workload and doesn’t hire anyone else because of all of the budget cuts. Maybe I’ll end up in a library one day, but at the moment that’s a tough call.

S: Dang it! I thought I read... Oh well. I'll still leave this one in because I liked getting a peek into the industry and because I could stand to learn some humility. *hides blushing face*

Moving on, what are your favorite genres? 

C: I love a lot of genres, but my top ones right now are dark contemporary fiction (the kind often termed ‘issues’ books) and dystopian/post-apocalyptic. Fantasy and science fiction are high on my list too.

S: Oooh, contemporary issue books, my Achilles heel.

What are your least favorite genres? 

C: Mystery: Serial mysteries annoy the crap out of me for the most part. Here’s the thing: they’re often comparable to watching Power Rangers. Every single episode, there’s a precise formula that you will follow all the way through. I guess I don’t hate mysteries, but their predictability tends to bother me. Also, they generally epic fail at characterization, which is my main qualification as a reader. The characters tend not to develop, because they need to keep being there to solve mysteries. When I do read mysteries, they’re usually standalones, like And Then There Were None, or hilarious, like the Stephanie Plum series.

Romance: When I was a teen, I read pretty much every romance novel from my mom’s personal collection. I was incredibly sneaky about it, so I’m pretty sure she knew. At the time, I also read every chick lit novel I could find at the library. Where I am in my life now, I just can’t handle either of these genres anymore, though maybe I’ll enjoy them again later. They’re too unrealistic for me to appreciate as a single girl in her 20s who has never been in love. [Shelver note: I'm currently pumping my fist in solidarity.]

Inspirational fiction: Not being of a religious persuasion, I just cannot handle most religious fiction, creatively referred to as “inspirational” fiction by my local library. Though I have no problem with people’s beliefs and minored in sociology, I do not appreciate being beat over the head with people’s religion either.

S: If the world and all its contents were about to be annihilated by aliens and you could only bring three novels (books, not series) into space with you, which books would you choose? 

C: Books, not series! You are a vicious, vicious person. Gah, I don’t know. War & Peace, The Complete Novels of Jane Austen (suck it!), and The Complete Grimm’s Fairy Tales. I’m going to need a lot of reading material.

S: Hee hee! No one likes that question, which makes me love it more.

Anything else you'd like us to know about you or your blog? 

C: That I’m awesome and have regular giveaways? ;)

S: You speak the truth. Thanks for coming by, Christina!

~~*~~

Now off with all of you. Go follow Christina at A Reader of Fictions, on Tumblr, and on Twitter. She's a fun person to chat with, and if you hurry, you can settle in and get your subscription set up before the next Cover Snark!