Friday, March 15, 2013

Blogger Spotlight - Books, Biscuits, and Tea



Welcome back to another edition of Blogger Spotlight, where I introduce you to a blog that I adore in hopes that you'll adore it as well. Our guest today is the delightful Vicky of Books, Biscuits, and Tea!

Fast Facts!



Creator: Vicky

Start Date: September 2011

Number of GFC Followers: N/A (but she has 474 Networked Blog followers)

Post(s) I Enjoyed: In addition to great reviews, Vicky also posts a feature where her manicure matches her books! I thought the Divergent skyline manicure was especially pretty.
~~*~~

Shelver: Hello! Would you please introduce yourself and your blog?

Vicky: Hello and thank you so much for having me on your blog! My name is Vicky and I’m a twenty-something book blogger from Europe. I'm in my third and final year of university where I'm studying English literature. When I'm not at uni, I work as a blog tour assistant for Novel Publicity. I’m currently based in Hungary but if all goes according to plan I'm moving to London early next year. I’d love to be able to work in publishing someday, but I’m looking forward to seeing what the future holds for me.

I started my blog - Books, Biscuits, and Tea – back in 2011 in the hope of meeting like-minded book enthusiasts from all around the world and to give and receive book recommendations. There’s no one particular genre I blog about, it’s pretty much a mixture of crime fiction, women's and contemporary fiction - adult and young adult alike. I usually post book reviews, discussion posts, blogging tips and book cover inspired nail art but I have a couple of new features planned for 2013 so keep your eyes peeled!

S: I've heard about your plans to move to London before, and every time I do, I get ridiculously excited for you. London is AMAZING. And high-five for having plans to go into publishing!

What made you decide to start a blog, and what do you hope to accomplish?

V: It was kind of a long process and I’ve been thinking about joining the blogging world way before I finally did. The main reason why I decided to start blogging was that I think it’s a great way to keep track of the books I’m reading and to meet fellow bookworms from all around the world.  Since none of my friends like reading as much as I do (and even if they do read, they prefer completely different genres and authors), I needed a place where I could talk about them without being labelled a nerd. It’s also a great way to give and receive book recommendations to and from people who have similar tastes and deadlines aside it’s a fun way of escaping reality, of forgetting your everyday problems even if it’s just for a short time. :)

S: It's so funny, because everyone gives practically the same reason, but it's such a GOOD reason. I'd give the exact same reason as well.

You sort of answered it above, but what are your favorite genres to read and review?

V: Crime fiction, hands down. You know those books which, no matter how big of a reading slump you might be in, still manage to hold your attention and keep you reading until 2 in the morning? That’s how I feel about thrillers and mysteries. They’re the genres that I can turn to even if I don’t feel like reading anything else.

Apart from crime, women’s fiction and contemporary fiction are two of those genres that I’ve enjoyed ever since I can remember. Dystopia is quite a new addition to my ’preferred genres’ list since I only started reading dystopian books last year, but it’s something I’d like to read more of in 2013.

S: Very cool! I like the spread of different genres.

What are your least favorite genres to read and review?

V: Non-fiction and sci-fi.

S: Ha! I adore sci-fi. Don't you just love the diversity in the blogging world?

I remember the first time I visited your blog. I was still a newbie blogger, and I was fascinated with your design, especially your header. So pretty. What advice would you give to a blogger trying to find his or her own style?

V: My best advice would be to remember that it takes time. It takes time to figure out what your reviewing style is, what you want to achieve or how you want your blog to look like. Don’t be afraid of taking risks or changing up things. I’ve been blogging for about 16 months and this is my third blog design and my third review template I’ve had – so it literally took me more than an entire year to say that say that yes, this is how I want my blog to look like and this is how I want to do things. I’ve experimented an awful lot both design and content-wise – it took quite a long time but it was definitely worth it.

S: If the world and all its contents were about to be annihilated by aliens and you could only bring three novels (books, not series) into space with you, which books would you choose?

V: Oh dear. Only three?? Right. Er… The first one would definitely be Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None. It’s been my all-time favourite book ever since I was like 13. I’ve read it at least 6 times (I’m not kidding) but I would still love to re-read it if I had the time.

The second book would have to be The Brightest Star in the Sky by Marian Keyes for three reasons: one, I love Marian. Both as an author and as a person: she’s super lovely and her books are brilliant. Two, it’s a long book (600-ish pages) so it would last longer than a shorter novel. Ha! And third, I cried buckets after reading it and it’s one of those endings that I will remember for a really long time.

And the third book… oh my. I think it would be J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban just because of Snape and because it was my favourite HP book.

S: And Then There Were None for the win! And I'm totally adding The Brightest Star in the Sky to my TBR list right away.

Anything else you'd like us to know about you or your blog?

V: I'd just like to say a massive thank you to everyone who have been sticking with me and my blog in 2012 and for all your lovely messages, comments and tweets. :) And to those of you who I haven’t met yet: feel free to give me a holler on Twitter if you’re reading this – I’m always on the lookout for new blogs to follow and new blogger friends to meet. :)

S: Thanks for coming by, Vicky!


~~*~~

Alright, my minions, you know what to do. Go check out Vicky in all her splendor at Books, Biscuits, and Tea. She has a great mix of adult and young adult reads, and her site just really pretty.

In addition to her blog, you can find Vicky on Twitter, Facebook, Goodreads, Google Plus, Pinterest, and Bloglovin.