Thursday, March 14, 2013

Cover Love #24


2788. Only the handicapped live on Earth. Eighteen-year-old Jarra is among the one in a thousand people born with an immune system that cannot survive on other planets. Sent to Earth at birth to save her life, she has been abandoned by her parents. She can’t travel to other worlds, but she can watch their vids, and she knows all the jokes they make. She’s an “ape,” a “throwback,” but this is one ape girl who won’t give in.

Jarra makes up a fake military background for herself and joins a class of norms who are on Earth for a year of practical history studies excavating the dangerous ruins of the old cities. She wants to see their faces when they find out they’ve been fooled into thinking an ape girl was a norm. She isn’t expecting to make friends with the enemy, to risk her life to save norms, or to fall in love.
Oh my lands, you guys. I found this book thanks to a review by Christina at A Reader of Fictions. Apparently, Earth Girl has been out in the UK since last year, but it should arrive in the US sometime this year. The US cover isn't nearly as pretty, natch. I'm completely in love with the synopsis, so I may have to find a UK copy so I can have the cover that I love.

It's so gorgeously symbolic. The model is, of course, Jarra. She's delicate enough to communicate Jarra's weakened immune system, but somehow tenacious enough to show Jarra's spunk. I particularly love her simple dress and her pixie haircut. Her melancholy expression matched with the globe is breathtaking, and those chains! The chains make the cover, in my opinion. And don't even get me started on the font. Love it.

I can't wait to read Earth Girl. Its synopsis is amazing and its cover is worth all the love in the world.

What cover do you love this week?

Also, Happy Pi Day!