Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Top 10 Tuesday: Books I HAD To Buy But Still Haven't Read

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
Oh dear. What a guilt-inducing topic. I'm awful at buying books (especially at thrift stores) and not reading them right away. Awful I say! Before I became a blogger, I would scoff in disbelief at the mere thought of someone having a physical to-be-read shelf. Now I understand the phenomenon all too well.

Here are ten books from my shelf who have been haunting me like the Ghosts of Bookstore Trips Past.

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. It was 50 cents at a bookstore's going-out-of-business sale, and all the proceeds were going to charity. Is that not a worthy cause, I ask you? And really, FIFTY CENTS! I can do fifty cents. And I love dinosaurs. And it's a used copy, so I won't even feel a twinge when I black out the profanities. Now I just need to, you know, read it.


Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck. At first, I thought these books looked dumb. But then Jenna at MTG Reviews did this Month of the Tiger promotion thing to celebrate the final book, and the books kept popping up on TTT lists. Then I found a brand new hardcover copy on BookCloseouts for $2.49. As if I could pass that up. Also, tigers are my favorite feline.


The Night Circus by Erin Morganstern. To be fair, I knew I wouldn't get to read this one right away when I bought it. I originally purchased this book because, 1) Ems loves it and will NOT shut up about it (love ya, Ems), and 2) I could get it for free, thanks to a 3-for-2 deal at my store, which is when I got the next two books on my list as well. However, The Night Circus is an adult book, and I only review YA lit, so it will have to wait until I have that elusive non-review-book reading time.


Wither by Lauren DeStefano. As I said, it was part of a 3-for-2 deal. I've never been rabidly interested in this series (I always confuse it with Lauren Oliver's series), but it was there, and it looked pretty, and... well, 3-for-2, right? I'll read it soonish, I promise.


Blood Red Road by Moira Young. THIS book! This is what started that stupid 3-for-2 shopping in the first place! The paperback was on the bottom shelf, looking all fetching with its snazzy red cover. How could I say no? There's already a sequel out, in case I read it and need more ASAP, and it's post-apocalyptic, from what I can tell. I love post-apocalyptic stories!


Bones to Ashes by Kathy Reichs. My reasoning here was, once again, it was on sale. Also, I love the TV series Bones, and that TV show is based off of Kathy Reichs' books, so surely the books can't be that bad. Oh, who am I kidding? It's about crime scenes and forensic anthropology. Even without the Bones connection, I'd be sold.


An Abundance of Katherines by John Green. Yes... say it with me... It was on sale. For one dollar, if I remember correctly. I rescued it out of the bottom of a dusty shopping cart at some awful bargain bin place. I recognized the author's name and figured I would give it a shot. Well, I still haven't given Katherines a shot, but I plan to!


The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan. YES, it was on sale, but I've already read the first Percy Jackson book, and everyone says that Rick Riordan's other series are just as good. So clearly, I need to start building my collection now, and why not do it as cheaply as possible?


Purgatory by Dante Alighieri. This one was not on sale. (Ha! You thought it would be, didn't you?) In fact, I can't remember if I bought it or my mom gave it to me as a gift. In any case, I am ashamed that I have not read it yet, as I adore Inferno. Not that I expect Purgatory to be as exciting, but my version is still the pretty one with the side-by-side Italian and English translation.


A bajillion Dorothy Sayers books. Maybe not a billion, but I have a lot, considering I haven't read any of the ones that I own. They're sitting in a box with my Agatha Christie and Sherlock Holmes books, and I still don't own the one Sayers book that I read and liked, the one about advertising. I'm hoping one day I'll have, say, a month where I can sit and just binge on all of them.

It should be noted that the above list purposely excludes:

1) Books that I read, bought, and haven't reread but should, and
2) Books that I won in giveaways and still haven't read.

Augh! I wish I had more time to read.

What about you? What books are giving you guilt-inducing glares from your shelf?