Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Top 10 Tuesday: Series I'd Like To Start But Haven't (Yet)

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
Once again, we're given a topic for TTT that makes me groan. Don't get me wrong, it's a great topic. But my to-be-read list on Goodreads is overburdened, and I'm already hounded by guilt over series ignored. There are so many amazing books and series in the world that I want to read! Unfortunately, I'm restrained by little things like work, my body's desire to sleep, etc. At least the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish were kind enough to narrow it down to series for us instead of individual books.

Here is my list, as organized by author:
Book #1
The Everneath series by Brodi Ashton. Underworld books can be very hit or miss for me. However, after the release of the second book (Everbound), it seemed like everyone was in love with the series. Also, my sister Sunny checked out the first book from the library, and it's currently sitting across from me and making come-hither eyes.

Attribution
The Mediator series by Meg Cabot. I know I'm a little slow jumping on the Meg Cabot bandwagon. I didn't even read The Princess Diaries until last fall. (I loved it, by the way.) My best friend in high school was obsessed with The Mediator series, but I never bothered to pick it up. I should probably rectify my error, but not until I finish The Princess Diaries series. Princesses trump ghosts.

Attribution
The Unearthly series by Cynthia Hand. I do not like angel books. DO. NOT. LIKE. Usually I back away from angel books as one might a nest of rattlesnakes. However, the third book just came out, and Twitter was all aflutter. Bloggers I respect and admire were gushing over this series. Wendy freaking Darling liked this series, and if Wendy freaking Darling likes something, I at least should give it a chance. [Update: Radiant Shadows is giving me the first two books! Holla! I'm so excited to start reading.]

Attriubtion
The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa. I'm also not a fan of faeries. Not that they're as bad as angels, mind you, but I haven't had much luck in the fey genre. That said, The Iron Fey series popped up multiple times in the TTT week about romantic couples, so I think it's worth a look.

Attribution
The Delirium series by Lauren Oliver. Oh my word, Twitter has been overrun with flailing over Requiem, the last book in the series. It seems like everyone is going gaga in anticipation. Personally, I never could keep this series separate in my head from the Chemical Garden series. (I haven't read that series either.) I have the first CG book on my shelf waiting to be read, so I put the Delirium series on my list so it would have its own push.

Attribution
The Anna, Lola, Isla books by Stephanie Perkins. I cheated a bit on this one. Technically, Ms. Perkins' books don't form a cohesive series, per se. However, I've been told that characters frequently pop into other books, which means they're all in the same literary universe, which means I feel justified counting them as companion novels and therefore sort of series-ish. Also, they're cute and I want to read them, so they're going on the list.

Attribution
The Across the Universe series by Beth Revis. Every time I hear about this series, I become hungrier for it. It has romance, intrigue, betrayal, adventure, and it's set IN SPACE! Do you all have any idea how few quality YA novels are set not just in the future but IN SPACE?! Want. Want want want. [Update: I won a copy of Shades of Earth (the final book) from Christina at A Reader of Fictions, so this series just got bumped to the top of the list. Woot!]

Attribution
The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. No, I haven't read Harry Potter. Thanks to pop culture and the internet, I know the basic plot and ending of the series, but I haven't read a single line of the books themselves. I'm sure when I do get around to it, I'll be completely enraptured, but I'm in no hurry. Either someone will give me the first book, or I'll find it in a thrift store somewhere and buy it cheaply. Until then, I'll enjoy my other books.

Attribution
The Study series by Maria V. Snyder. This one's another series that people won't shut up about, but it hits me in the chink in my armor: poisons. I love poisons, and I love books about food testers who are poisoned. Some of my closest blogger friends adore Maria Snyder, so I'm anxious to read this series... eventually. (I really should work on my scheduling.)

Book #1
The Lion Hunters series by Elizabeth Wein. This is the series I'll probably get to soonest of all, once I have the money to buy it. First, it's written by Elizabeth Wein, the evil genius responsible for Code Name Verity. Second, it's been touted by Chachic and other trusted Sounisians, and if a Sounisian tells you to read a book, you read it. Third, part of the series is set in Arthurian England and another part is set in Africa, which is AWESOME. Fourth, I've been told there's a very Gen-like character named Telemakos, whom I must meet post haste. Please picture me making grabby hands.

~~*~~

I know I won't be getting to any of these series right away, and when I do, there's no guarantee that I'll be enthralled with all of them. Still, what's life without a little risk? I trust my fellow bloggers, so when they say "X series is AMAAAAAZING!" that I should at least pay attention. Hopefully, I'll be able to snag some of these at the library soonish.

What about you? What series would you like to start?