Friday, April 26, 2013

Blogger Spotlight - Emily's Reading Room


Good Friday to you all! It's time for another Blogger Spotlight, where I introduce you to a blog that I adore in hopes that you will adore it as well. Today, our guest is Emily of Emily's Reading Room.

Fast Facts!

Name: Emily's Reading Room

Creator: Emily Ellsworth

Start Date: June 1, 2009

Number of GFC Followers: 1,351 (as of 4/20)

Post(s) That I Enjoyed: Her reviews are always excellent, but I also like her Blogger Confidential posts and her gorgeous Book Quote Printables.

~~*~~

Shelver: Hello! Would you please introduce yourself and your blog?

Emily: Hi! I'm Emily, the primary blogger behind Emily's Reading Room (with the name, I guess it makes sense). I'm a 20-something, I love to read, and I enjoy talking about my reading. Emily's Reading Room has been around since June 2009. I review primarily YA fiction, though I have recently got into a little bit of picture book spotlighting, and Kylie does quite a few middle grade reviews. So, we really try to cover the gambit of children's fiction.

Shelver: Why did you decide to start a blog, and how did you find each of your contributors?

Emily: I started the blog in 2009 primarily as a way of keeping track of what I was reading. At the time I naively thought that I was the only one who had ever thought of doing a book blog. Silly, I know. But, after a few months I connected with a few other bloggers and really got into the community.

As far as contributors, Kylie and Anna Rose are college friends of mine. We kept in touch via Facebook and they expressed interest in doing some reviews for me. Anna Rose has a blog of her own that she does crafty and home decor stuff on. Kylie has a family blog that is hilarious. Both of them had similar writing styles as I do, and I really love when they do reviews. Andy is also a college friend, oddly enough, and an aspiring writer. I really need to get on him to do some more reviews though. He's been slacking.

Shelver: Get on it, Andy!

What are your favorite genres?

Emily: If it's YA, I'm open to it. Though I definitely have an affinity for high fantasy series. Fantasy, science fiction, and historical fiction are my favorites.

Shelver: High-five!

What are your least favorite genres?

Emily: I really don't read anything paranormal anymore. I never got on the paranormal train, and I'm pretty much over it by now. I also used to say that contemporary stuff was a non starter. But, lately a few titles have surprised and impressed me, so it might be time to take it off the list.

Shelver: I adore your Blogger Confidential feature. I can't tell you the number of times I've read answers to one of the topics and been overwhelmed with relief that it's not just me! How did you come up with the feature, and has there been a particular topic discussed that has helped you?

Emily: So, the feature is a kind of spin-off of Susan from Wastepaper Prose's Author Insight series. I loved the idea of having a lot of bloggers all answer the same question. Especially since not everyone agrees all the time. But, I'm happy with the success that the feature has had. There have been a couple questions (like the one on plagiarism or blogger envy) that have helped me get a little perspective. There are so many different ways to blog, and it's nice to have a diversity of opinion.

Shelver: Picture this: The world powers have convened and declared books in all forms to be illegal. You have fifteen seconds to hide your three favorite books. The rest will be seized and burned. Which three novels (books, not series) do you choose?

Emily:

  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling
  • The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
  • The Crimson Crown by Cinda Williams Chima

Shelver: Haha, I think you're the first person to give me a concise list with no grumbling about how sadistic I am! 

Anything else you'd like us to know about you or your blog?

Emily: I always love visitors! Come stop by!

Shelver: Yes, everyone! Please do! Thanks, Emily. :)

~~*~~
Fly! Fly, my pretties! Spread out across the interwebs and converge upon Emily's Reading Room. It's a very homey, comfortable place, and I think each of you will find something you enjoy, especially if your tastes are like mine.

In addition to her blog, you can follow Emily on Twitter, Facebook, and Goodreads.