Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Top 10 Tuesday: Books I Thought I'd Like More/Less Than I Did


Hi all! Today's Top 10 Tuesday topic are books that either disappointed us or thrilled us by failing to meet our expectations or riding high right over them. I have books that fit either way, so I split the difference and gathered up five of each.

Books that I enjoyed less than I anticipated:

Scorch by Gina Damico. I'm holding onto my review until later for this one, but I adored Croak, the first book in the series. Sadly, Scorch hit many of my peeve buttons, so much so that I doubt I'll be finishing the series. Sad.

Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne. Mehhhh. This was one of the first books I read as a blogger that genuinely disappointed me. It wasn't bad, but I didn't enjoy myself at all.

Origin by Jessica Khoury. Again, not a bad book, but I so badly wanted to enjoy this book. I follow the author on Twitter, and she's an absolute delight. Sadly, liking the author doesn't always translate to the book.

Poison by Bridget Zinn. I get grumpy just thinking about this one.

This Is Not A Test by Courtney Summers. This one makes me grumpy, too. It was the first requested ARC that I ever received. I danced around the living room when I received it. But Ms. Summer's style didn't match my taste as a reader at all, so I passed it on to a friend who adored it.

Books that I enjoyed more than I anticipated:

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. THIS BOOK. Oh my gosh. I read it because I had seen it on summer reading lists and expected another boring school book. Instead, I found a gorgeously written, heart-wrending tale that became one of my favorites of all time.

Bruised by Sarah Skilton. It's a contemporary book. It's an issue book. I loved it.

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You by Ally Carter. I thought this book was fluffy and ridiculous when my sister suggested I read it. Instead, its fun adventure and characters enchanted me, and I have become an ardent fan of the series and the author.

The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett. I didn't have high hopes for this book when I started it, but the fun plot and inventive take on mythology turned me right around!

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman. Oh my gosh. I avoided this book because I didn't like the cover. It's now one of my favorites EVER.

Your turn! Tell me which books have made you sigh/squeal.