Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Top 10 Tuesday: Favorite Pre-Blogging Books

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
Ah, it's good to be back! After all the fun and excitement of the Attack of the Assassins! blog tour, it's nice to get back to a familiar routine. I thought I would have trouble with this week's topic, to be honest. All of my post-blogging favorites stand out so clearly in my mind, crowding out old favorites. However, once I stood up and went to look at my bookshelves, I suddenly had the opposite problem. How on earth would I narrow down my favorite pre-blogging books to just ten?!

I tried, and while I did bend the rules a little, here are my Top 10 Favorite Pre-Blogging Books, in no particular order. (Note: I'm listing series as "one book," because I can.)

The Queen's Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner. I put this one first because it's the most obvious. I adore TQT and have for years. This series is the strongest attachment I carry with me from pre-blogging days.


Rilla of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery. While I love the entire Anne of Green Gables series, the eighth and last book sticks with me. It's beautiful in every way, and holds the dubious distinction of being the first book that ever made me cry.


Fitzwiliam Darcy, Gentleman series by Pamela Aidan. This is the series responsible for getting me back on my Jane Austen kick, a kick that is still ongoing, I might add. Aidan takes Pride and Prejudice and tells it from Darcy's point of view over the course of three books. From Fletcher, Darcy's loyal (and witty) manservant, to Lord Dyfed Brougham, Darcy's best friend (who reminds me of a British Roar), Ms. Aidan gives stiff old Darcy a new depth that I greatly appreciated. Also, I'll never think of Milton's Paradise the same way again.



The O'Malleys series by Dee Henderson. I ADORE this series. The O'Malleys are a group of adults who adopted each other in childhood and then made it official in adulthood. Each of the six O'Malleys get their own book, which centers around a mystery involving their respective (very adventurous) careers. For instance, the first book follows Kate, a hostage negotiator. I devoured these books as a teen. I loved the heady mix of suspense, mystery, romance, and adventure. I still haven't decided which male (O'Malley or otherwise) I like the best.


The Wildlife of Star Wars: A Field Guide by Terryl Whitlatch. I think this book will follow me for the rest of my life. Written in the style of a legitimate field guide, this book is split up by planet, all of which are familiar from the Star Wars movies, from Alderaan to Bespin to Coruscant. However, most of the animals it depicts are NOT from the movies. Drawn in vivid color with notes regarding habitat, behavior, anatomy, feeding, breeding, and other fascinating details, this book is good for reread after reread. I even took this book to college with me.



The Tahn series by L.A. Kelly. Another series that held me enthralled through most of high school, Tahn is a Christian fantasy series about an assassin who chooses the straight and narrow. Looking back, the writing probably wasn't the best, but I must have reread the first two books in the series half a dozen times at least. (I didn't like the third book.)


Piratica by Tanith Lee. I love pirates. I love pirate captains. I love female pirate captains. Is it any wonder that I would love a book about a female pirate captain that she can win any battle without taking a single life? Also, the love interest is pretty cute.


And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. No surprise here. ATTWN is the book that turned me onto Agatha Christie in the first place. It scared the living daylights out of me and then delighted me with how twisty it was. I love not being able to guess the bad guy.


The Princess by Lori Wick. I prefer my books with more teeth to them now, but this was one of my favorite contemporary romances pre-blog. No mysteries, no fantasy lands, no paranormal creatures, just a modern-day arranged marriage between a commoner and a widowed prince.



The Rowan Hood series by Nancy Springer. Whyyyyy don't I own this series?! It's a companion tale to Robin Hood that focuses on his daughter Rosemary, who disguises herself as Rowan to find the father who never knew she existed. It's books like these that kept me firmly rooted in the MG section for so long.


Bonus: Comic books. More specifically, those hulking collections of comic strips such as Calvin & HobbesFoxtrot, Zits, Get Fuzzy, Dilbert, and Far Side. I have a big box currently residing under my bed that has followed me everywhere. In college, I often didn't have time to lose myself in a novel, so comic books were a way for me to escape from the pressure of exams. Now that I'm blogging, I don't have time for my comic books (irony!), but I add to my collection whenever I can.

What about you all? What were your favorite books from the pre-blogging days? And have you read any of the books from my list? What did you think?