Wednesday, May 1, 2013

April Rewind & Review


~~*~~

Happy May, everyone! Ah, May. May's going to be a great month. But April was pretty awesome in its own right. I read some amazing books, we talked about important bloggy things, and excitement over BEA hit an all-time high with the release of the autographing schedule. Read on to catch up on what you might have missed in the month of April.

My Reviews
  • Arclight by Josin McQuein (a freaking fantastic post-apocalyptic sci-fi that I LOVED)
  • Life After Theft by Aprilynne Pike (a decent story about a boy and his kleptomaniac ghost partner)
  • Reboot by Amy Tintera (a dystopic sci-fi that had its strengths and weaknesses)
  • The Loop by Shandy Lawson (snoresville teen Groundhog Day with more guns)
  • Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi (sequel to Shatter Me - loved parts, hated parts)

My Meme Posts

My Other Fun Posts

The votes regarding the ReReadathon and a possible R&R rescheduling are in. Support solidly landed on the side of delaying the ReReadathon a bit, so we'll pass over it for May and reopen discussions later in the summer. People didn't really seem to care about R&R, so, for my own peace of mind, I'm going to make R&R a weekly event instead of monthly. Hopefully, that will cut down on lists like the ones you're about to read. [Also, no pictures again this time, because I accidentally deleted them. Sorry!]



Stuff I Bought
  • Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Case (Encyclopedia Brown #10) by Donald Sobol
  • The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
  • Stuart Little by E.B. White
  • From the Mixed-Up Files of Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg
  • The Dangerous Days of Daniel X by James Patterson
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
  • The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
  • The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer
  • Heat by Mike Lupica
  • Catch Me If You Can by Fran W. Abagnale
  • Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh
  • The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau
  • The People of Sparks (Book of Ember #2) by Jeanne DuPrau
  • The Prophet of Yonwood (Book of Ember #3) by Jeanne DuPrau
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
  • The Lost Jewels of Nabooth (Choose Your Own Adventure #4) by R.A. Montgomery
  • I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak
  • Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis
  • Life of Pi by Yann Martel
  • Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli
  • The Man Who Loved Books Too Much by Allison Hoover Bartlett
  • The Boy Next Door by Meggin (Meg) Cabot
  • Defiance by C.J. Redwine (ebook)
  • Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers (which Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf got signed for me!)
  • Rowan Hood Returns (Rowan Hood #5) by Nancy Springer
  • The Fine Art of Truth or Dare by Melissa Jensen
  • Books 1-6 of the Samantha American Girl books
  • Catching Fire (Hunger Games #2) by Suzanne Collins
  • Mockingjay (Hunger Games #3) by Suzanne Collins
  • The Giver by Lois Lowry
  • Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause



Stuff I Won
  • Amelia Bedelia (50th Anniversary Edition) from Greenwillow
  • Signed ARC of Blackout by Robison Wells (from the author)



Stuff I Received
  • A Stormdancer bookplate and signed bookmark from Jay Kristoff
  • Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson (from publisher via Edelweiss)
  • ARC of City of a Thousand Dolls by Miriam Forster (traded via YA Book Exchange)
  • Project Cain by Geoffrey Girard (from the publisher via Edelweiss)

I promise, I'm not the profligate spender I'm made out to be. I buy cheap, thrift store and bargain books. In the entire month of April, I bought only one new, non-bargain book, and that's because it was Dark Triumph. I gotta have Dark Triumph. Still, Sunny and I have decided to cut back our thrift store outings to once every other week. Our parents are undoubtedly grateful.

Now for the last list, the best list.

A Few Of My Favorite April Blog Moments
  • Squealing over BEA plans(!!)
  • Reading not just one but TWO stellar books (Arclight and Insomnia)
  • Getting to give away more goodies to followers
  • Being able to interview Sarah Skilton, because I ADORED Bruised
  • Watching others get excited over books thanks to my reviews, which is pretty stinkin' awesome
  • Swooning over amazing book boys with all of you :)
  • Learning that Graceling has been optioned (which means a possible Graceling movie!!)
  • Discovering Better World Books (more on that next month)

~~*~~

Much love and thanks to my local thrift store, Greenwillow, Jay Kristoff, HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster, Allie, YA Book Exchange, Rachel, and Edelweiss for a rockin' month.

Then take all that love and gratitude and add an extra armful for all of you who read, visited, commented, tweeted, RT'd, and otherwise made me smile this past month. Are you ready for May?