Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Top 10 Tuesday: Light/Fun Books

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
Normally when I create a list for TTT, I'll write down an answer, then explain myself before moving on to the next answer. This week, I think it's necessary to switch it up. So don't worry, I'm not one of those people who just slaps ten things on a page and calls it a day. Just keep scrolling, my friends.

- Gallagher Girls series* by Ally Carter

- Heist Society series by Ally Carter

- Princess Diaries series by Meg Cabot

- Croak by Gina Damico

- The Ghost and the Goth series by Stacey Kade

- The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

- Leviathan series by Scott Westerfield

- The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett

- The Princess Academy** by Shannon Hale

- Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger

The above ten items are ones that were written down as they popped into my head or were culled form my reviews or physical bookshelf. In putting together this list, I made several interesting observations.

1. Though I enjoy humor and happy things, I tend toward more intense reading materials. My books tend to be dark, intense, harrowing, angsty, scary, or just otherwise not light and happy-go-lucky. I'm okay with that. I like books that deal with deep things and/or keep me glued to the edge of my seat.

2. Apparently, if I do bother to read a light/fun book, it's probably going to be contemporary. Though nearly all have some other bent (paranormal, steampunk, hijinks, whatever), only three books on my list are NOT set in the present day. Of those three, two are set in an alternate version of our past (Leviathan and Etiquette & Espionage) and only one is truly in another world (The Princess Academy).

3. Many of my "happy reads" are either MGs or MG in feel. For instance, Leviathan, The Princess Academy, and Etiquette & Espionage are shelved in YA, but all three felt distinctly MG to me.

4. I really, really like Ally Carter. She makes me happy.

*Note: Though The Gallagher Girls definitely starts out light and fun, the books become progressively darker and more intense.

**Note: The Princess Academy isn't "light," per se, but rather soft and comfortable, like a beautiful fairy tale.

What about you? What are your light and happy reads?