Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Top 10 Tuesday: Best/Favorite Books Read In 2013 So Far

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
Woo! Can you guys believe that the year is half over? I mean, really, what on earth! I will say that I have been exceptionally productive in my reading these last six months, and the list below is made possibly solely by the book log stored on my computer. Some books I couldn't have told you whether I read them this year or last, so thank heavens for spreadsheets.

I broke my top 2013 books into categories. Within each category, the books are listed alphabetically. Just narrowing them down this far hurt my head, so there was no way I was ranking everything. I also did not stop at 10 (though I was very, very close.)

Young Adult:



Arclight by Josin McQuein. Post-apocalyptic sci-fi with a nice twist, SUPER-creepy creatures called the Fade, and a very interesting look on what makes us human.


Belle Epoque by Elizabeth Ross. Paris! Fascinating characters, a great, even-handed discussion on beauty, and did I mentioned PARIS!


Bruised by Sarah Skilton. A rare "issue" contemporaries that grabbed me by the shirtfront from the start and refused to let go. Beautifully written, exquisitely crafted.


Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers. I almost didn't include this one. Don't get me wrong, it's an intense, gorgeously crafted book and does the series proud. However, it's very, very, VERY dark. But c'mon. Nun assassins. Of course I loved it.


Insomnia by J.R. Johansson. Creepers be creepin' as the hero, a dreamwalker, slowly devolves into insanity, inching closer to death as his insomnia destroys his mind and his relationships.

Middle Grade:



The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls by Claire Legrand. Gothic, sinister, and disgustingly delightful, this book packs in swoons, friendship, horror, despair, and the danger of perfection. LOVE.


The Time Fetch by Amy Herrick. [Review to come.] Take one part quantum physics, one part metaphysical nihilism, one part pagan mysticism, add a handful of truly fantastic fourteen-year-olds, and BAM! You have yourself an amazingly fun book.


The Year of Shadows by Claire Legrand. [Review to come.] Yes, Ms. Legrand is on here twice. Don't interrupt me while I fangirl. It's dark and gloomy and fun and amazing and inventive all in the same breath. THERE IS A CAT WHO TALKS LIKE CARY GRANT!

Adult:


Speaking from Among the Bones by Alan Bradley. The latest book in the Flavia de Luce series is just as amazing as the rest. Flavia is at the peak of her game, we get more delectable chemistry tidbits, the murder is ghoulish, AND there are more intriguing de Luce family moments.

Audiobook:


The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefaver. [Review to come.] Cheating on this one, as I haven't finished it yet. However, I am completely entranced by this audiobook. The story is intricate and atmospheric, the characters are huggable in their own cockeyed ways, and the narrator is PERFECT. Perfect, I tell you!

~~*~~

Oh my lands, you guys, that was such a hard list to write. Even narrowing it down as far as I did was nearly impossible. So many good books this year! So many! I can't wait to dive into the rest of the year. Have you read any of the books on my list? What did you think? What should I check out in the next six months?