Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Top 10 Tuesday: Books At The TOP Of My Summer TBR List

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
Such a hard topic this week! I thought about just pulling from all my BEA ARCs, but the bulk of those are for September (which means my TTT for the Fall TBR will be wicked hard.) Instead, I decided to be super-selective from my Goodreads TBR list for June, July, and August. Since I was being especially selective, I only had six books I was pining an indecent amount for, so I supplemented with five more books from my shelf that I haven't read yet but hope to this summer.

From my Goodreads TBR list:

The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson
Oh my gosh you guys, you have no idea how frightened I am to read this book. I ADORED the first two books in the Fire & Thorns series to an extent that some might consider unhealthy. (Naaah.) I have so much Hector-love that it hurts, and I don't want this series to end. Also, Ms. Carson is frightful about killing off important characters, so I'm doubly scared. But HECTOR! <3 <3

The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas
While I do not approve of the new cover, I have high hopes for this book. High fantasy with revenge plots, elemental mages, and motivation warring with love almost always makes for a great read.

Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas
Twitter is KILLING me over this book right now. All my fellow BEA-ers are digging in and reporting back epic flails and massive waves of weeping. I'm scared, you guys. Also, I've learned that my #1 man from the prequel novellas is at the very least mentioned in a heart-wrenching way in this sequel, so there's that. And finally, hello! Celaena Sardothien! Girl assassins, FTW!

Deception by C.J. Redwine
Another author who is positively evil about killing off important characters, Ms. Redwine is sure to break my heart at least once in the course of this book. Still, how can I continue to loathe the Commander with every fiber of my being if I don't know what he's up to? Conversely, you could swap out "Commander" for "Logan" and "loathe" with "adore" and have another valid reason for why I'm so excited to read this book.

The Oathbreaker's Shadow by Amy McCulloch
Nnnnyaaaaaaugh! I think I'm going to sprain my fingers with all the grabby hands I'm making for this book. Seriously, I featured The Oathbreaker's Shadow on Wishlist Wednesday in March and have been lusting ever since. Luckily, I have AMAZING friends, and Jess from Read My Breath Away sent me a finished copy! You all better believe I'm diving in ASAP.

Proxy by Alex London
Same story as Oathbreaker here. I featured Proxy on Wishlist Wednesday and have been trying to get my hands on it to no avail. Unfortunately, the publishing company behind Proxy is practically the only one that ignores me on NetGalley and Edelweiss. C'est la vie.

From my physical shelf: 

Acid by Emma Pass
Whoo-ee! Look at that cover! I was so excited when I won a copy of Acid. Between the cover and that synopsis (only female inmate in a maximum-security prison?! jailbreak?!), I know I'll love this book!

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart
I've been told I would like this book. I have a vague memory of being told that there's a clever (possibly unreliable?) narrator, hijinks, and possibly some cross-dressing disguises? I don't know. In any case, the title is witty, and I'm intrigued.

The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer
Another book that sounded good and I'd heard about from numerous sources. Then I found a practically brand new copy at my local thrift store and picked it up. I'm doubly excited to read it since I managed to grab the sequel at BEA.

Perfect Scoundrels by Ally Carter
Guh. I bought this book, what, in May? April? March? And I still haven't read it! I need to reread the first two books before diving back into Kat's world, and I'm hoping I'll have the time to do so this summer.

Sabriel by Garth Nix
Yet another book I've heard a lot about. Yet another book I've been told I'll like. Yet another book picked up at the thrift store. And yet another book for which I already have the sequel ready and waiting. I'm ready to be wowed.

Your turn! What books are you looking forward to reading this summer?