Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Mid-Year Resolutions Check-In

Hallo, my happy blogger peeps! We are officially halfway through the year, which is amazing, so I wanted to stop and check in to see how I'm doing on the various goals that I had set at the beginning of the year.


First, I want to look at my book challenges. I committed myself to only two year-long challenges: The Goodreads Challenge and Hobbitsies' Debut Author Challenge (DAC 2013).

For Goodreads, I pledged to read 75 books this year, and so far (if you don't count novellas or DNFs), I've read 56 books so far! Not too shabby at all.

I didn't set a goal number for DAC 2013, but I did write up a list of 35 debuts that interested me.
  • Of those 35, so far I've read 14
  • Of the remaining 21
    • 4 I either own or am able to reach at a moment's notice and still plan to read, 
    • 5 haven't come out yet but I still plan to read, 
    • 5 HAVE come out but I still plan to read, 
    • and the remaining 7 I've lost interest in.
Next, I want to look at the TTT I posted at the end of last year: My Top 10 Most Anticipated Books of 2013. There are 10 books listed, plus 5 honorable mentions.
  • Of those 15 books, 13 are already out (because we didn't know about the fall/winter books at that time.) 
  • Of those 13, I have only read 7. I liked most of them. 
  • Of all 15, between my sister Sunny and I, 6 of them reside in my house in some form (finished physical copy, ARC, e-book).
And finally, we visit my resolutions I set both in my End of the Year Survey and my TTT. Of my ten resolutions, I have been faithful with... four of them. Eek. I have been VERY good with my scheduling system (and even wrote a post about it), have been better (if not stellar) about being on top of my reviews, went to BEA, and have worked hard on not playing the numbers game and comparing myself to other bloggers.

Resolutions I still need to work on:
  • Find more contemporaries that I like and can recommend to others. (I did find the amazing Bruised, but haven't really had much luck after that.)
  • Move to New York. (No luck so far, though I did visit!)
  • Land an internship at a literary agency or publishing house. (Sigh. Still working on it.)
  • Find some baby bloggers to help. (I found one, but I'd really like more.)
  • Garner more feedback. (*pokes comments section sadly*)
  • Continue to learn and grow and try new things. (I have no idea. Have I?)
And as a bonus, I double-checked the TTT post I did last October about the Top 10 bookish people I'd like to meet, and I've met four already! I'm very proud of myself.

And while we're pulling out facts, let me share a few more findings from my book log:
  • Numerically, I have DNF'd only one more book in the first half of 2013 than I did in the first half of 2012
  • However, percentage-wise, my DNFs have been far, far lower
  • Thanks to my Princess Diaries audio binge, I have read more contemporaries than any other genre (which is weird)
  • I have read a gazillion times more audiobooks this year as opposed to my total from last year. (Gazillion = 9.5 vs. 0 from last year)
  • I have also read way more MG this year as opposed to my total from last year. (7 this year, 2 last year)
  • My biggest post so far was the One-Year Blogoversary post in January
  • My biggest non-giveaway post so far was my first Paper Lantern Lit post
Hooray for funky stats!

I do realize this was a very self-indulgent post. It's full of numbers that I doubt anyone cares about but me. I feel so ashamed. Not ashamed enough to pull it, however, so instead I'll make up for it by adding a giveaway at the end! The winner can pick something from my prize box (US winner only; list of options below) or choose a used book from Better World Books (US or international, as long as BWB ships to you). I reserve the right to ask the winner to choose a different book if their choice is too expensive.

Prize box contents:
  • City of a Thousand Dolls by Miriam Forster (ARC)
  • Vengeance Bound by Justina Ireland (ARC)
  • Soldier Dog by Sam Angus (ARC)
  • The Rules for Disappearing by Ashley Elston (ARC)
  • The Time Fetch by Amy Herrick (ARC, signed)
  • Poison by Bridget Zinn (ARC)
  • Level 2 by Lenore Appelhans (ARC)
  • Skin by Donna Jo Napoli (ARC)
  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (paperback)
  • Eragon by Christopher Paolini (paperback)
  • Eldest by Christopher Paolini
  • Brisingr by Christopher Paolini
  • Belle Epoque by Elizabeth Ross (ARC)
a Rafflecopter giveaway