Saturday, July 6, 2013

ReReadathon 2013 - Week One


Welcome to the end of Week One of ReReadathon 2013! If you have no idea what I'm talking about, check out the original post here.

I don't know about you all, but I'm pretty pleased with myself. Some weeks, my days off line up in such a way that I can knock out several books in a row. This was not one of those weeks. In fact, my days off could not have been any less conducive to reading. However, despite my schedule, I managed to start and finish both The Girl of Fire and Thorns and The Crown of Ember. It's been so long since I've reread anything that I forgot how quickly I can read when I already know the story.

I live-tweeted some of my reactions under the hashtag #rereadathon, but my biggest takeaway from rereading this week is how little I remember in some scenes. It's been almost a year since I read both books, and I had forgotten entire plot points. Once they showed up, I was like "Ohhhh yeeeeah," but I had the hardest time in places remembering which of the two suspicious characters was really the traitor, for example. I had also forgotten some of my initial reactions to the characters. For instance, Elisa is such a sad sack in the beginning of F&T, while Alejandro is extremely charming. However, Carson does a great job of weaving in parts of their personalities even within the first few pages to show how they'll grow in the future. Also, Humberto has long hair! Totally forgot that.

Of course, as I've stated, the entire month doesn't HAVE to be devoted solely to rereads, so I'm taking a tiny break to read my ARC of the third and final book in the series, The Bitter Kingdom. It will be a tiny break because I plan to devour it in a day or two. Then I'll be back on track with Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas and its novellas. [Update: I did finish TBK in a day, so it's ToG time!]

I can't wait to hear about all your rereads. I've had such fun revisiting Joya d'Arena, Elisa, and her Malficio. I hope the rest of you have had as much fun on your own adventures. The linky is open all month, so there's still time for anyone else who would like to join. Happy reading!