Saturday, July 20, 2013

ReReadathon 2013 - Week Three


Week Three of ReReadathon 2013 is officially in the bag! There's only a week and a half left, but if you're new to ReReadathon and would like to win prizes, there's still time to sign up. Check out full details at my introduction post, and then catch up on the other weeks here and here.

This week, I read four rereads, which pleases me. It's been a week of series books. I read The King of Attolia and A Conspiracy of Kings by Megan Whalen Turner and Heist Society and Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter. I also started The Book Thief and then set it aside when I discovered that I wasn't in the right mood, so I guess you could say I reread 4.15 books. I hope I can get back to The Book Thief before ReReadathon ends, but The Book Thief is a literary masterpiece and is not to be forced.

The King of Attolia grows in magnificence with each reread. The first time I read it, I was not pleased. I didn't want some bumbling buffoon named Costis. I wanted my Gen! And I didn't want my Gen to be viewed the way Costis viewed him. I wanted out of Costis's head ASAP. But after my fourth or fifth reread, I ADORE this book. Seriously, it's the tiniest of fractions away from beating out The Queen of Attolia. MWT's books get progressively bleaker with each installment, and the walls around Gen seem to get closer and closer. He has such dramatic lows and highs in this book, and it gets me every time. Also, there is not one but TWO bromances in this book, as well as more insight into one of the best romances of all time. Sigh.

I'm hoping that my change of heart for The King of Attolia will transfer itself to A Conspiracy of Kings, for I was as meh about it during my reread as I was the first time I tried it. Don't get me wrong, it's still an MWT book and therefore top notch. And I love Bunny Sophos. But there was too much Sophos and not enough Gen. Too much passivity and not enough skullduggery. I just wasn't hooked. Still, that doesn't keep me from begging for the next book. How long must we wait, Megan Whalen Turner? HOW LONG?!

Heist Society and Uncommon Criminals were as great as always. I was a bit pickier about the writing this time around, and some of the twists seemed a little thinner than I remembered, but it didn't matter. Kat! The Bagshaws! Uncle Eddie! Simon! Gabriella! HALE! It was such a blast reuniting with the crew and laughing at their antics.

My plan is to continue the fun by reading Perfect Scoundrels, which I've had on my shelf since March and still haven't read. When that's over, I'll be back at my rereads to take advantage of this last week and a half before I have to return to my review books.

Your turn! I want to hear all about how your rereads are going. And don't forget, if you write a recap or reflection post, you can add it to the main linky as an extra prize entry!