Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Top 10 Tuesday: Things That Make My Reading/Blogging Life Easier

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
The following things are written down in the order I thought of them. If I tried to do them in order of importance, I would drive myself nuts. I take rankings very seriously.

Goodreads - Oh my word. Goodreads can be such a mess, to be sure. Its search engine stinks, the details for each book are often wrong, and there seems to be a new drama every week, but I value Goodreads for one specific thing: my TBR list. I mourn for all those wasted years when I would get excited about a book and then forget its title. Such wasted potential! Now I just hop on Goodreads and add a book to my virtual pile.

Twitter - I also don't know how I lived before Twitter. It is overflowing with my people, my lovely, bookish people. I learn about the news through Twitter, discover new books through Twitter, enter giveaways through Twitter, and make new friends through Twitter. It's wonderful.


Notes app - My Notes app on my iPad is a lifesaver. Not only is that where I keep my list of Agatha Christie books (for thrift store trips), but it's also how I organize my ARCs. I have two lists, a "Read By" list and a "Review By" list. The dates may differ between lists, as publishers sometimes archive a digital ARC before the release date. By keeping both lists up to date, I make sure I don't forget my digital ARCs and then all ARCs, both digital and physical, are read and reviewed on time.

iCal - I think I may have written about my scheduling before, but my entire blogging life is planned through iCal. All my memes, discussion posts, blog tours, reviews, etc. are all carefully planned and dated at least a week before go-live. iCal keeps me sane.

Edelweiss/NetGalley - Hooray for e-ARCs! I must admit, I wasn't sold at first, because e-ARCs are often wonkily formatted, but then I realized that publishers are more likely to part with e-ARCs than physical ARCs. Win!

Fellow bloggers - I LOVE YOU ALL! Seriously, you are my people, and I love you.


My dad - When I first started my blog, I didn't tell my parents for three months. Three months is a long time when I'm used to telling them pretty much everything, but I kept my mouth shut because I wanted to see if I could do it without any help. And I did. I set it up, gave it a name, designed it, and even did some (very rudimentary) coding. But now my parents know, and all I can say is THANK GOD. Both my parents are great, but my dad is the Tech Guy of the house. He seems to know a little bit of everything (which makes sense, since he has multiple blogs and podcasts of his own), and I feel like I'm constantly going to him for help/advice. CONSTANTLY.

The library - Free books and audiobooks! Wheeeeeee!

Book Closeouts/Better World Books - Cheap used books with free shipping! Wheeeee!

Amazon Prime/Book Depository - Cheap new books with free shipping! Wheeeeee!

What about you? Please share your tips with me. I need all the help I can get.

14 comments:

  1. Ciska van der LansAugust 20, 2013 at 3:10 AM

    The "I" tools there are for organizing almost convinced me to get an Itool too but in the end I went with Android. But they indeed have some great stuff.

    And YAY for your dad and the family of being so supportive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all need those great people like your dad who help us out, tech-ie-wise.

    Nice list!

    Here's my Book Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asheley (BookwormAsheley)August 20, 2013 at 9:13 AM

    This list is great but oh my goodness, how awesome is it that your DAD made your list? Best thing I've seen so far. I LOVE THAT. My dad is awesome and I love him to pieces, but he's no good for tech support! (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodreads would definitely make my list too. I honestly have no idea how I managed to keep track of new releases before discovering it! I'd be lost without my virtual lists and recommendations from friends. Reviews make the decisions about books SO much easier for me. Great list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use my notes app all the time - especially for physical books. It's a life saver when I write my reviews. iCal is right up there, too!

    Bloglovin helps as well. So easy to visit my favorite blogs and see what other people are reading/posting.

    My ​TTT!

    ​~​Andrea @ ​Beauty but a Funny Girl

    ReplyDelete
  6. The library is awesome and the amount of books that you can take out. Ical is a great feature which keeps track of everything to make sure you don't miss anything. Great list :)

    My TTT: http://www.bookythoughtsandme.com/top-ten-tuesdays-things-that-make-your-life-as-a-blogger-easierbetter/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I borrow your dad? :) Ashley and her boyfriend are actually fairly tech savvy so that helps us. I don't know how i would do any of the code/tech-u stuff by myself. When we first started I spent a LOT of time on google reading help forums hah. Great list!

    Nicole @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Library! I don't know what I would do without mine. And I agree Goodreads helps me keep track of all that I want to read also!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dude, my family rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dad had a blog, Twitter, AND Facebook before I did. It's ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oddly, I can't think of the last rec I got from Goodreads. Most of my recs come from Twitter or other blogs. But yes, its shelves are handy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm. I don't use Bloglovin' except as entries for giveaways. I handle my subscriptions through NetNewsWire.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nooo! He's MINE! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Keeping a list of books to read or buy on the Notes App is genius, I don't know why I haven't thought of that yet! When I go to the library I always forget the author's name, now finally know how to keep track of the author's I want to read! Thanks for the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete